What's new

Erased all content and settings, now can only get phone into DFU mode

szlats

Reaction score
I am have a problem with my iPhone 4. It was jailbroken with Cydia and I was going to sell it as I have a 5. When I tried to erase all my info using the erase all content and settings command I seem to have lost my jailbreak and I can only get the phone into DFU mode. I found a link to previous versions of Apple's iOS but from what I've managed to understand from reading other posts is that I also need a saved SHSH. I admit that I am not entirely sure what the SHSH is but I tried to use Tiny Umbrella and according to TU's log it found no SHSH on the phone. Is there a way to restore to a previous OS that will still allow me to jailbreak the phone and not update the baseband?

You can *never* erase all content and settings on a jailbroken device. You need to restore in iTunes

You can *never* erase all content and settings on a jailbroken device. You need to restore in iTunes
+1.... The do not use "erase all content and settings" on a JB iDevice is a well known, to most, no no. Unfortunately, your only option is to perform a restore via iTunes. It'll update it to iOS 6.0 and you'll be good to go w/ selling it.

I am have a problem with my iPhone 4. It was jailbroken with Cydia and I was going to sell it as I have a 5. When I tried to erase all my info using the erase all content and settings command I seem to have lost my jailbreak and I can only get the phone into DFU mode. I found a link to previous versions of Apple's iOS but from what I've managed to understand from reading other posts is that I also need a saved SHSH. I admit that I am not entirely sure what the SHSH is but I tried to use Tiny Umbrella and according to TU's log it found no SHSH on the phone. Is there a way to restore to a previous OS that will still allow me to jailbreak the phone and not update the baseband?

Using the "erase all content and settings" command, should not get rid of your jailbreak....at worse you have Cydia missing...?

Using the "erase all content and settings" command, should not get rid of your jailbreak....at worse you have Cydia missing...?
It doesn't necessarily get rid of the Jailbreak or Cydia... it just puts a Jailbroken iDevice in a recovery loop. That is, unfortunatley, only recoverable by a restore via iTunes.

Thanks for the help and the prompt replies, I was afraid that I'd have to restore with iTunes and loose my Jailbreak but wanted to verify that before I did. Hopefully my error will make the prohibition against using the erase all content and settings more well known.

Well all is not well. I have tried multiple time to restore the phone by putting it into DFU mode and when I try to restore with iTunes I keep getting error codes, 1600, 1601 or 1604. Any further suggestions on how to proceed?

I was unable to restore the phone (as per advise earlier in this thread) to its JB state. I was trying to restore it it to the latest version of iOS through iTunes. I figured out the problem and have now restored the phone successfully after editing my host file removing references to gs.apple.com. Thanks to all for your help and interest.

You can only restore your iPhone to the latest version 6.0 unless you have SHSH saved. From your description above, you have jail broken your iPhone so maybe cydia has your SHSH blob you need.