What's new

I don't understand itunes

GTAlumnus

Reaction score
My wife and I each have iphone 3gs phones. Only on rare occasions have we ever hooked them up to a computer and synced them. Its always confusing in that I don't know if what I do is going to wipe out iphone content (such as pictures and contact info). We have one account and from a phone I purchase aps and then I can go to her phone and install the same ap without having to purchase it again. But her contacts, pics, etc are different from my phone.

I just got through connecting up and getting itunes updated to what my phone has, then installing the new operating system (5.0). I want to connect hers (which is still on 3.x) and do the same, but I'm afraid it will overwrite her pics and contact info with my stuff.

Is the only way to have different content on the two phones to set up two different accounts? And if I do so wouldn't that then make me have to re-purchase aps for each phone?

Seems it would be much slicker if one itunes install would allow you to manage multiple phones with different aps, pics, and contact info.

What am i not understanding here? She basically has said "don't update my phone" because she is afraid she will lose something.

iTunes will look at your wife's phone and copy any new pictures to the pictures folder in windows. You can choose to delete after copy and also attach a tag to them.

Once on you computer move any precious photos to another location for safety.

Each phone has it's own identity, so you can choose what is synced - and whats not for each by un-checking the sync automatically boxes in iTunes

iCloud in iOS 5 (should you upgrade) can do much the same, but you can't view the pictures so easily direct from it. you need an Apple device or windows iCloud manager installed.

Last edited:
My wife and I each have iphone 3gs phones. Only on rare occasions have we ever hooked them up to a computer and synced them. Its always confusing .

Sorry, but I have to chime in and agree! I have no solution for you because I've always had troubles navigating the hellish tabs and screens of iTunes. I've lost data through it and can't ever get comfortable with doing ANYTHING on it except for back-ups. And even that is quirky.

itunes is 100% horrible. i have always had problems with itunes. it never seems to function the way its supposed to. there are way to many options. to make matters worse, i recently found that by having one function checked in one area automatically causes another function to be disabled in another area. causing all of my music and photos to be removed from the phone.

I HATE ITUNES !!!!!

itunes is 100% horrible. i have always had problems with itunes. it never seems to function the way its supposed to. there are way to many options. to make matters worse, i recently found that by having one function checked in one area automatically causes another function to be disabled in another area. causing all of my music and photos to be removed from the phone.

I HATE ITUNES !!!!!

Most the time is that we don't understand the software or we don't read before start using it.
iTunes want you have everything on auto sync and we (including me) don't use it that way but we have to screw something up or find how thinks work to learn.

Most the time is that we don't understand the software or we don't read before start using it.
iTunes want you have everything on auto sync and we (including me) don't use it that way but we have to screw something up or find how thinks work to learn.

That's how I learned to use my computer in general. Mess something up and then learn how to fix it! LOL! And I also HATE iTunes!
btw...off topic....I grew up in Hickory :)

Hi Ernie, from another Ernie.
You're correct in saying that iTunes must be learned by trial and error. BUT it shouldn't be that way! We shouldn't HAVE TO "read the manual" -- the software should be customer-friendly enough to navigate on its own! I have never, and will never, understand the "synch" function! This is what messes up people over and over, and it's simply not clear. As in, why do people lose all/most of their iPhone data when they "synch?" Additionally, iTunes allows you to "synch" universally when it comes up, or you can "synch" only in certain tabs, I think. Who knows! It's a mess, just like the Home button!

OK, off my soapbox!

If I do so wouldn't that then make me have to re-purchase aps for each phone? Each iphone has it's own identity, so you can choose what is synced - and whats not for each by un-checking the sync automatically boxes in iTunes There are way to many options. Is the only way to have different content on the two phones to set up two different accounts?to make matters worse, i recently found that by having one function checked in one area automatically causes another function to be disabled in another area.Additionally, iTunes allows you to "synch" universally when it comes up, or you can "synch" only in certain tabs, I think. Who knows!