What's new

I am unable to backup my iPhone

akaplan516

Reaction score
I have tried several times to update my iPhone 4 firmware to the most recent, however I keep getting stuck at the backup sequence (corrupted or incompatible backup). I have followed all of the troubleshooting info from iTunes, however I cannot locate my appdata folder where it says it should be in Windows Vista. I have also tried to delete the backups through iTunes but they always seem to return to the list. I tried updating iTunes in hopes that it would reinstall the folder, but it didn't work out. I read a post on here that someone had a similar problem with corrupt data when their home button stopped working and I, too, am having trouble with the button.

If I restore my iPhone, do I lose everything? (I obviously have to do so without running a backup). Should I deauthorize my iPhone before I do so, or will it reset the number of authorized computers?

Thanks for your help!

Go to this location in your windows pc to find the backups. User> UserName> AppData> Roaming> Apple Conputer> MobileSync> Backup.
There you will find your backups. You can delete them all, restart your computer and they will not be listed the the backup in iTunes anymore. You do not need to deauthorize your computer before making a restore. But you should know since you manually delete all the backups from that folder, you will not have anymore backup after finish restoring the iOS. You will lose your contacts SMS, and files then.

I have followed that folder route several times before but I didn't see an appdata folder. Is it possible that it's been removed somehow or in a different location? I've never made any changes to those folders (that I know of) and haven't had issues in the past. I will check again when I get home from work tonight, but I'm certain it's not there. Could that be what's causing iTunes to think it's corrupted?

If there are backups, they have to be in that folder. Check again, otherwise just set your phone as a new phone in iTunes then.

Yes set as a new phone after restoring the iOS. Maybe those backup list from the iTunes will go away then.

I was actually able to delete the backups from the list, but I will either have to restore my phone or do a computer restore and hope that one of those options will return my backup folder.

I am having a similar problem. I attempted a jailbreak on another computer, the jailbreak failed so I decided to restore. After many attempts the most recent backup I have doesn't have all my music on my phone. And when I plug the phone into itunes it tells me this computer has been previously synced with another iphone or iOS device. Giving me no options at the top to sync my music, photos, etc. Any help would be awesome, been fighting with this for 5 days now.