What's new

How to upload app and their contents into an older Iphone

fapio fapio

Reaction score
Hi all
I have the following situation: got an Iphone SE and made a backup with itunes. in the meanwhile my Iphone SE went broken (impossible to switch it on). I wanted to use the backup to load all the needed stuff into my older Iphone5. Itunes doesnt recognize any backup, but with e.g. iphone backup extractor or ibackup viewer I find all the contents of that backup not found in my pc by itunes. Now, what I need is to reuse all the contents and apps that were on my broken Iphone SE (and that they are on the backup on my pc), but I have no idea how to pick all the contents and the apps and load into my Iphone5. Please note that I am not interested on re-loading on my old Iphone5 the thousands of pics and videos. I just need the apps and their contents. Any idea how to proceed? Many thansk in advance for help!

You probably cannot transfer everything. Unless the two phones have the same version of iOS *and* the iPhone 5 has at least the same memory space, some items won't transfer. I suggest contacting Apple Support to get your SE fixed. I hope you have Apple Care for it?

The iPhone 5 and SE don’t need the same software version. If the iPhone SE was up to date (iOS 13.4.1), you can’t use that backup on the iPhone 5. It’s not possible to restore a backup from a newer iOS to a device with an older one. It would be possible the other way round, from older to new software.

You probably cannot transfer everything. Unless the two phones have the same version of iOS *and* the iPhone 5 has at least the same memory space, some items won't transfer. I suggest contacting Apple Support to get your SE fixed. I hope you have Apple Care for it?
Hello, thanks for the answer. OK, now I understand about the same version of iOS, which it cant be the case, because Iphone 5 doesnt upgrade to the more recent versions. I think I will have to forget about the transfer from SE to 5 :-(
However thanks and BR from Switzerland

The iPhone 5 and SE don’t need the same software version. If the iPhone SE was up to date (iOS 13.4.1), you can’t use that backup on the iPhone 5. It’s not possible to restore a backup from a newer iOS to a device with an older one. It would be possible the other way round, from older to new software.
Hello, thanks for the answer. your answer helps me to understand more about the situation, but I still have some doubts. So, one step further: let me reduce to one single app content the needed contents I want to have back: it is an ewallet with a hundred informations (used e.g. to access other apps, and so on). How to get the content of that ewallet (the only really needed app) from the backup of my SE? Is there any way to extract them? thanks in advance again for the answer. BR

Hello, thanks for the answer. your answer helps me to understand more about the situation, but I still have some doubts. So, one step further: let me reduce to one single app content the needed contents I want to have back: it is an ewallet with a hundred informations (used e.g. to access other apps, and so on). How to get the content of that ewallet (the only really needed app) from the backup of my SE? Is there any way to extract them? thanks in advance again for the answer. BR

Was the wallet on the iPhone 5 originally? Did you add anything to it on the SE?

The problem is that anything designed for the iOS version on the SE cannot transfer directly to the 5, for the reasons already explained.

If the content of that app is stored somewhere else (online), and you just have to login to access your data, you‘ll get the information back when logging in to the app.

Otherwise that information will not be available for the iPhone 5. You‘d need a device that can handle iOS 13.4.1 to restore the app’s data from the backup.