What's new

how to learn to unlock

mgh

Reaction score
I have tried to do some searching and reading, but I think I am getting more confused.

I have been considering buying a used 3GS that had been unlocked by someone, but then thought I would be better off learning how to do it myself, so if it needs to be unlocked again I will know what to do about it.

So how does one get up-to-date info on how to jailbreak and unlock? I can find u-tube stuff, but nothing recent.

I found the dev-team blog, but what I see there are links to download some software, but no instructions on how to use the software.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any help.

Unlocking is very easy. What's difficult is understanding which iPhones can/can't be unlocked.

Every 3GS can be unlocked but that is via upgrading to an iPad baseband which can cause problems when it comes to updating/restoring your phone. It has also been reported to cause problems with some users gps.

If your lucky and get a 3GS that has a baseband version (thats what counts when unlocking) 5.12.xx or lower you can unlock it with ultrasn0w. It's a simple download via cydia which is available after you jailbreak...

Thank you! That is good information to know.

If I am looking at an iphone, where do I find the baseband? I mean, where do I look for the setting that tells me what the baseband is?

Thanks for the help.

Sorry, more questions - I am learning a lot here, and I appreciate it.

Firmware and baseband are 2 different things correct? Or 2 words for the same thing?

So if a phone has been updated to 4.3 firmware, that affects my ability to unlock it?

Thanks again.

They are two separate things but for example, you can have a 4.0.1 firmware's baseband (which is unlockabe) on 4.3 (4.3's baseband can't be unlocked) if it is preserved during the update process.

This means it doesn't matter too much when looking at firmware versions when looking for a used unlockable iPhone. It's baseband that counts. You still need the firmware version to be able to be jailbroken in order to unlock it (currently 4.2.1). If you buy a new iPhone then it will have the correct baseband for the firmware...

I am finding many phones with baseband 05.16.01 - very few with 05.12 :(

I will keep looking.

I see this guy jailbreaking 4.3

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64smzEkeT2M&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - How To Jailbreak 4.3 iPhone 4/3Gs iPod Touch 4th/3rd Gen & iPad Semi Tethered - Sn0wbreeze 2.3b1[/ame]

But I am still nervous about this, looks as though people having issues with this beta jailbreak.

Lots of talk of new jailbreak, is it anything more than talk? Anything new expected soon?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

gaz6067 -- Thanks for your patience here, I appreciate your time.

I picked up a nearly new 3GS, that is working perfectly with T-Mobile.

It has firmware 06.15.00, so unfortunately I don't know how it was unlocked. I will start a new thread, that may be more appropriate for my new questions :)

That's the iPad baseband. If you ever need to restore you will get an error unless you use a custom ipsw...