What's new

How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Using Absinthe 2.0.4 (Windows) [5.1.1]

iphonefr33k said:
I am new to the forum so forgive me if the question is out of context of the original thread.

Do I need to "Reset All Settings" right after the jailbreak then do the icloud restore or just go straight to the icloud restore?

I have not jailbroken the phone yet. I am reading all the docs over a few times as well as looking over the To Do's things before the jailbreak and after the jailbreak.

Mostly concerned with backups after the jailbreak and to completly restore to unjailbreak 5.1.1 which I know how to do then restore backup which I have a copy now before I do the jailbreak.

Is there a thread on just these procedures and apps to use after a jailbreak like the ones you have mentioned already such as i-funbox, xbackups, ifile etc.

I am a linux/mac/windows user and have used putty before to SSH into my apple tv so I kind of have some backend knowledge of a unix kernel environment somewhat.

If I where to putty into the iphone could I basically save the folder contents that way or is the a better way?

You can putty in after jailbreak and you install openSSH. Not before.

Everyone is going about this too complex. Back up your stock 5.1.1 iPhone. Reset all and erase all contents and setting then do not restore yet. Set up as new device and jailbreak with absinthe 2.04. Run cydia to download all packages.
Then when stable hook up to iTunes and click restore backup.

zphone said:

Everyone is going about this too complex. Back up your stock 5.1.1 iPhone. Reset all and erase all contents and setting then do not restore yet. Set up as new device and jailbreak with absinthe 2.04. Run cydia to download all packages.

No need for putty or installing OpenSSH.

Its pretty pointless. Just use a USB SSH client like iTools or i-FunBox.

Plug in phone, open program...instant access to file system.

Nothing needs to be installed from Cydia.

Jailbreaking itself enables USB SSH.

I personally don't see the point in installing OpenSSH and "logging in" just to gain root access through a computer, when all ya have to do is is plug in your device and open a program.

I am still totally lost as to what it means setup as a new device? I see nothing in itunes menu system or tabs that say setup device as a new device?

itunes shows the iphone with whatever name of the device it is currently. Once you reset and erase all contents is that what puts it back to stock (vanilla) ios 5.1.1. Just as though I just purchased the phone right from the apple store? Or do I have to go into DFU mode and restore the fimrware? Each time you say new device I am not sure exactly what this means and how to do this and if this actually puts it back to what I like to say VANILLA right out of the box?

Thanks

Last edited:
iphonefr33k said:
I am still totally lost as to what it means setup as a new device? I see nothing in itunes menu system or tabs that say setup device as a new device?

itunes shows the iphone with whatever name of the device it is currently. Once you reset and erase all contents is that what puts it back to stock (vanilla) ios 5.1.1. Just as though I just purchased the phone right from the apple store? Or do I have to go into DFU mode and restore the fimrware? Each time you say new device I am not sure exactly what this means and how to do this and if this actually puts it back to what I like to say VANILLA right out of the box?

Thanks

After you reset your stock non-jailbroken iPhone running iOS 5.1.1 it will ask you to set it up on it's screen. Just do a basic setup and connect to wireless as it will need that when cydia runs.

That's all. When I say set it up as new it just means don't restore to it yet. You'll restore the backup after jailbreak is successful.

No need for putty or installing OpenSSH.

Its pretty pointless. Just use a USB SSH client like iTools or i-FunBox.

Plug in phone, open program...instant access to file system.

Nothing needs to be installed from Cydia.

Jailbreaking itself enables USB SSH.

I personally don't see the point in installing OpenSSH and "logging in" just to gain root access through a computer, when all ya have to do is is plug in your device and open a program.

Hey there,

Does jailbreaking really enable SSH over USB? Is this all jailbreaking or Absinthe only? I need to get to some files on my locked iphone 4.

Cheers!

i ran absinthe 2.0.4 on my att iphone 4 os5.1.1 and it finished alright.
however when i plug in a working sim card from entel chile it does not recognize it.
if i run absinthe again it says 'ERROR: Device already jailbroken! Detected stash.'
what did i miss? can anyone help?
thanks much.

chamo33183 said:
i ran absinthe 2.0.4 on my att iphone 4 os5.1.1 and it finished alright.
however when i plug in a working sim card from entel chile it does not recognize it.
if i run absinthe again it says 'ERROR: Device already jailbroken! Detected stash.'
what did i miss? can anyone help?
thanks much.

What does Absinthe have to do with the SIM card?

Absinthe is for Jailbreaking.

Has nothing to do with unlocking, activating, or SIM cards.

All Absinthe does is install Cydia. Nothing else.

Just thought id share my experience with this to help others out

I updated to iOS 5.1.1 and restored the content on my phone using a back up i made, i then attempted the Absinthe Jailbreak and it said in the end "Something has gone wrong restoring iphone"

Next i thought id reset my iPhone to a brand new iPhone by wiping all settings and content off the iPhone, basically going into the General Tab of settings and selecting "Reset All" after doing this i attempted the Jailbreak again, same problem.

I decided to restore my iPhone again and reinstalled iOS 5.1.1, after install i set up my iPhone as a brand new iPhone, by going through "Enable location services" and the other steps till my phone was on the home springboard, i attempted the jailbreak and got the same problem for a third time.

Finally i decided to restore my iPhone AGAIN and this time once it had completed i DID NOT touch it, not even go through the steps, so basically the phone still had the setup screen displayed, e.g the "Enable location services" screen, i then attempted the jailbreak and SUCCESS, so if anyone incurs this problem of it not working try doing a fresh restore and not touching the iPhone :)

Hope i helped

MikeCorruption said:
Just thought id share my experience with this to help others out

I updated to iOS 5.1.1 and restored the content on my phone using a back up i made, i then attempted the Absinthe Jailbreak and it said in the end "Something has gone wrong restoring iphone"

Next i thought id reset my iPhone to a brand new iPhone by wiping all settings and content off the iPhone, basically going into the General Tab of settings and selecting "Reset All" after doing this i attempted the Jailbreak again, same problem.

I decided to restore my iPhone again and reinstalled iOS 5.1.1, after install i set up my iPhone as a brand new iPhone, by going through "Enable location services" and the other steps till my phone was on the home springboard, i attempted the jailbreak and got the same problem for a third time.

Finally i decided to restore my iPhone AGAIN and this time once it had completed i DID NOT touch it, not even go through the steps, so basically the phone still had the setup screen displayed, e.g the "Enable location services" screen, i then attempted the jailbreak and SUCCESS, so if anyone incurs this problem of it not working try doing a fresh restore and not touching the iPhone :)

Hope i helped

You are not suppose to restore from a black up before Jailbreaking with Absinthe.

It even says so in the instructions. You just didnt follow the instructions correctly.

I'm thinking of doing this, but (sorry if I sound stupid) the phone was brand new to me locked to Vodafone. Vodafone unlocked it for me (I now use GiffGaff). If I jailbreak, will my phone be locked back to Vodafone?

serena1987 said:
I'm thinking of doing this, but (sorry if I sound stupid) the phone was brand new to me locked to Vodafone. Vodafone unlocked it for me (I now use GiffGaff). If I jailbreak, will my phone be locked back to Vodafone?

No.

Jailbreaking has nothing to do with the carrier.

Plus....If your carrier officially unlocks it....their is officially unlocked. It cannot just get locked back to Vodafone again...even if you restore to a stock iPSW.

You do not have to worry about losing your unlock.

Only people who unlock "unofficially" need to take caution not to lose there unlock. You ate not one of those people. Your good.

And even if you did "unofficially" unlock...jailbreaking would not lock it again.

All jailbreaking does is install Cydia.

Thank you. I will carefully consider this then :) I assume that because Vodafone unlocked it, it would be safe, but I've also read in places about unlocked phones becoming locked again.

If I do this, and decide it's not for me, can I 'un'jailbreak it?

If I do this, and decide it's not for me, can I 'un'jailbreak it?

Yes very simple to do, just restore in iTunes and you will be unjailbroken. I just did it last week to take my 4s into the apple store

Tapatalk'd from my iPhone 4s

any suggestions for a mac compatible software?? will absinthe work with Crossover or Wine??