What's new

How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Using Absinthe 2.0.4 (Windows) [5.1.1]

kieron121 said:
so what do i do??

It's best to jus restore "setup as new" and not from backup.

Then just plug in iPhone e open Absinthe and click the jailbreak button.

Don't touch your phone til Absinthe tells you it's ok to open Cydia.

No need to "Erase All Content and Settings" if you restored fresh with no backup.

Restore in iTunes (make sure you backed up)
Jailbreak
Restore from backup

Also run as Administrator if your on Windows.

Have been using jailbreak redsn0w on 5.0.1 on IPhone4. Runs smooth and hardly any crashing. Is there any reason to bump up IOS 5.1.1 and rejailbreak with greenpoision?? Scared of losing all my great tweaks which are in place and is there any benefit of running 5.1.1? Is the new jailbreak causing any problems out there in forum land??

carbrad said:
Have been using jailbreak redsn0w on 5.0.1 on IPhone4. Runs smooth and hardly any crashing. Is there any reason to bump up IOS 5.1.1 and rejailbreak with greenpoision?? Scared of losing all my great tweaks which are in place and is there any benefit of running 5.1.1? Is the new jailbreak causing any problems out there in forum land??

Well....it's up to you.

The jailbreak for 5.1.1 is far more stable then 5.0.1. Actually 5.1.1 is more stable then 5.0.1 period.

The battery life is much better (I experience 10% more battery life but have heard if users getting up to 30% more battery life after updating and doing a full charge cycle).

Yes there are a few ways to save all your packages from Cydia.

xBackup works great. Simple...and to the point.

Tho If I were to upgrade I would start from Scratch....to avoid incompatible conflicts.

You could alway run through you're list of installed packages and remove the ones that ate confirmed to be incompatible with 5.1.1before backing up with xBackup or PkgBackup.

The new jailbreak has not caused me any problems....but so manyinor bugs were fixes in the new jailbreak.

Like hidden apps showing with default hidden apps after reloading SpringBoard.
White/blank icon fixed.

It's just generally smoother in pretty muck every way.

Apps load faster..
Resprings faster
Only one tweak that I use is not compatible.

It's just better in almost every way.

I have heard of one bug with this jailbreak tho. (compared to the many that are on 5.0.1).

That bug I guess is the device freezing after uninstalling an app from SpringBoard.

I don't know because I have no reason to uninstall any apps.

But that can easily be avoided by deleting apps from the Settings.app instead.

Settings> General> Usage> Apps Name> tap the red "Delete App" button.

Thanks for the great info. Think i will go for it this weekend while i have some time to play around with it. How do you know which tweaks are not compatible with the new jailbreak?

carbrad said:
Thanks for the great info. Think i will go for it this weekend while i have some time to play around with it. How do you know which tweaks are not compatible with the new jailbreak?

When you open Cydia you first need to wait til it loads completely the first time. If you don't then there will be no tweaks in there at all.

Once Cydia has fully loaded then you can look at tweaks.

Finding which tweak you may like is self explanatory.

Once you tap on a package you are presented with the packages Info Page.

Rite above where the description of the tweak is, is where it says whether it's iOS 5 compatible or not.

If you find a package you would like to install, but do not see if it's compatible with your iOS version...then simply do a google search, ask someone on the forum, or watch a YouTube video. Tho YouTube videos are mostly to see exactly what a tweak does..not what it's compatible with.

Either if those is far better then just installing a package and hoping it works.

Never I install a package unless you are certain you know it will work on:

1) Your device *model* (not all packages are made for an iPhone..some are device specific and are for iPods only or iPads only)

2) Your iOS version (basically any new tweak that comes out or came out in the past few months are iOS 5 compatible. But some tweaks are outdated, but are kept in Cydia so people with older devices can use them. Just alway make sure a package is iOS 5 compatible)

3) make sure that a package does not conflict with a package you may already have installed. Some packages jus don't work well when installed on the same device. However...most tweaks work great together...but there are a handful of tweaks that don't work well with certain packages tho. If you install a package that puts you into safe mode, and tapping the "Restart" button does not work..then remove that package...it is most likely conflicting with a package you already have installed).

Using Springtomize 2's Mobile Substrate Addon feature allows you to turn off certain tweaks to trouble shoot compatibility. Great tweak with cool features too.

Think I'm gonna give this a go this weekend. I'm new to the iPhone but could root an android device with my eyes closed. For some reason I'm nervous to jailbreak haha

Tapatalk'd from my iPhone 4s

MwSlim
I have been jailbreaking since last July and it is easy and if you are coming over from Android you will love all the great options you have. Plus not having a stock Iphone like millions of others makes it personal and more functional. This forum and you tube are great if you run into any problems but if you follow the steps and make sure your phone is at the right 5.1.1 IOS the new jailbreak seems to be one of the easiest ever. Let us know if you need any info about popular tweaks!!:)

MwSlim said:
Think I'm gonna give this a go this weekend. I'm new to the iPhone but could root an android device with my eyes closed. For some reason I'm nervous to jailbreak haha

The new jailbreak for 5.1.1 very easy.

Download Absinthe 2.0.4, save to desktop
Open it, and another Absinthe folder will be extracted to the desktop.

Plug in phone
Open Absinthe folder
Open Absinthe.exe
Click "Jailbreak"

Wait til Absinthe says its okay to open Cydia.
Done.

Is the iCloud backup enough or do I still need to backup to iTunes? Also will my pictures be restored? I don't have photo stream on but I think my pics should still be synced with iCloud but I'm not sure

Is the iCloud backup enough or do I still need to backup to iTunes? Also will my pictures be restored? I don't have photo stream on but I think my pics should still be synced with iCloud but I'm not sure

iTunes backups and iCloud backups are the same. As long as you back up to one of those two places your photos will be restored when you restore from your backup.