What's new

How To Jailbreak iOS 7.1.X using PanGu

ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. i had an IPhone 4 first. recently i upgrade to an Iphone 6. my current phone is the iPhone 6 on 8.1. my old, iPhone 4, i kept as an ipod which is on 7.1.1 jailbroken through pangu. now on my iPhone 6 it's not jailbroken, it's still on ios 8.

basically aside from just modification to how the device looks ie themes. springtomize zepplin. is their anything else on cydia that is worth having to further improve the ios experience. im not a dev just a consumer. i hope that helps

ok, sorry for the misunderstanding. i had an IPhone 4 first. recently i upgrade to an Iphone 6. my current phone is the iPhone 6 on 8.1. my old, iPhone 4, i kept as an ipod which is on 7.1.1 jailbroken through pangu. now on my iPhone 6 it's not jailbroken, it's still on ios 8.

basically aside from just modification to how the device looks ie themes. springtomize zepplin. is their anything else on cydia that is worth having to further improve the ios experience. im not a dev just a consumer. i hope that helps

It's a matter of taste really. If you're not themeing the device and not using it as a middleman for data transfers like the form of a flash drive or something, there's really no point in jailbreaking. I've been jailbreaking since iOS 1, so it's a make-or-break for me in terms of owning/using an iOS device. One factor with jailbreaking is that often times, if there's a vulnerability that exposes your data, Apple may not be as quick to resolve the issue as would developers like Ryan Petrich, who is renown for his godspeed in creating small patch packages as a temporary fix for the vulnerabilities.

The one good thing about the older Cydia (which it doesn't ask when setting it up anymore but it's still there technically) is that when you first launch Cydia, it'll ask you for your profile, namely User, Hacker and Developer. Based on the profile you give Cydia, it will show/hide packages based on your user level, so if you chose User, you wouldn't be shown APT libraries, root fixes, root system packages, etc. That was the one thing I tell jailbreakers to check out before jailbreaking by first choosing User, then browse through the packages. If you see that you won't use any of the packages in User, then jailbreaking or not is not a big deal since you won't end up using the features.

A few packages that come to mind for general users would be something like SwipeSelection/SwipeSelection Pro (swiping left and right on the keyboard will move the cursor so you won't have to tap on the space you want to move to, convenient for stubby/fat fingers or if you want to keep your hair intact when typing/editing a lot), iKeyWi (though iOS 8 now comes with 3rd party keyboards so it's not a "must" from Cydia anymore), iFile with the free license, AnyAttach (lets you attach anything to emails using the file browser) and Chrome/Safari Downloader Plus. Considering how phones and tablets nowadays are more prominent as alternatives or supplements to computers, these several packages would make the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch feel more like a computer in terms of ease of functionality.

Not sure if that helps, it might just sound like nonsense rambling with a handful of espresso shots running through my veins.

hahaha it does help. before thought what i loved about the jailbreak was all the tweaks that improved ios. like the killall app sb settings. switch spring tweaks like that was what i loved about the jailbreak

IMO, the packages with the most intrinsic value are the simple ones that does a single function that makes you go "Oh, never realized how much I needed this". That's what SwipeSelection did for me. Considering how auto-correct isn't always the brightest, and my fingers would always tap on the wrong word or line, being able to move my cursor back and forth was a godsend.

I'm all over the SwipeSelecton tweak myself and am anxiously waiting to be able to download it.

For me, it's never been about the "purties" of jailbreaking such as that with theming. It's always been about the little things such as SwipeSelection.

The one tweak that is pleasing me to no end at the moment, the one that is now my most favorite - my "how did I get along without this?!" tweak - is Virtual Home. It uses the Touch ID function so I can just tap the Home button to close apps (versus having to actually press it). And, I can tap and hold to turn off the device. Awesome!

In a way, Apple is slowly but surely improving the iPhone enough that a lot of people are satisfied with the stock iOS. But, as long as there are tweaks like Virtual Home ... I'm a jailbreaker!

Marilyn