What's new

How to get my iPhone to type Jose and not JOSE when using speech-to-text?

JohnDohe

Reaction score
My iPhone: iPhone7+
Software version: 15.7.1

Whenever I tap the little keyboard microphone to use speech-to-text
my iPhone will type JOSE when what I want it to type is just Jose.

The contact is in my Contacts as Jose, not JOSE.

How to get my iPhone to type Jose and not JOSE?

Solution??
Thanks!

Unfortunately I don’t have an iPhone as old as a 7+, mine is an iPhone 12 on iOS 16.2. However if I try saying Jose phonetically by pronouncing it as “Hoesay” it prints it correctly as Jose not JOSE.

It may just be that the older firmware can’t handle the speech recognition in the same way as the later firmware, but give the phonetic pronunciation a try, it may work.

Unfortunately I don’t have an iPhone as old as a 7+, mine is an iPhone 12 on iOS 16.2. However if I try saying Jose phonetically by pronouncing it as “Hoesay” it prints it correctly as Jose not JOSE.

It may just be that the older firmware can’t handle the speech recognition in the same way as the later firmware, but give the phonetic pronunciation a try, it may work.
Did not work.

Before you say Jose, say the word Cap. That tells the iphone to capitalize the next word.

Try turning auto-capitalization off. This will stop all caps on everything. Use the mic to dictate a few sentences using names, including jose. Go back and manually change jose to Jose. Then go back and turn auto-cap back on. Then try using Jose.

Re-read post.
I did but instructing the iphone can sometimes correct its ongoing transcription issues. Moreover, Ledsteplin gave you the correct action to perform. If all else fails, you can create a text replacement (Settings>General>Keyboard>Text Replacement).