What's new

Screenshot of New iOS 5 Speech-to-Text Facility in Action Surface

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
speech_to_text_iOS_5.JPG

9to5 Mac reports today that it has been sent a screenshot from iOS 5’s forthcoming speech-to-text feature by what it refers to as “a reliable source”. The screenshot shows how the Nuance-powered speech-to-text function will be activated in iOS 5, and it appears to operate in a very similar way to the Android speech-recognition feature. Basically, you just touch the microphone icon to the left of the “space” bar, and talk away. As soon as you start talking, you’ll see another screen appear with a larger microphone icon, indicating that recording is taking place. When you stop talking, you’ll be returned to the original view, and the words that you have just spoken will then be shown in the text box. 9to5 Mac also reports that it has heard from its sources that the speech-to-text feature is only planned to be available for iPhone and iPod touch, and not for iPad, which seems a little strange, to say the least!

Source: iOS 5′s Nuance-powered speech-to-text feature revealed (screenshots) | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

I have iOS 5 beta 5 and I dont see this feature. Wonder if it will come in future betas

Originaldobo said:
I have iOS 5 beta 5 and I dont see this feature. Wonder if it will come in future betas

You'll probably see it in the next beta release but you'll most definitely see it in the official release