What's new

How to get more seamless file transfer and utility on Iphone 5?

zolram

Reaction score
Hi, i am currently a S2 android user, but today i got an offer on a new Iphone 5 for 200$ the seller had got it on a delayed warranty. and that was just to good to pass on..

I have never used iOS before and i must say i am very disappointed in how cumbersome and limiting the mandatory iTunes sync and conversion is when it come to transfering and using media files , also it does not have the content i most interested in.

I usually download tv series like masterchef ,audiobooks etc eigther directly the phone with utorrent or to my pc to and just drag it over to the movie folder on my S2, for viewing it i use MX player. I use a simliar method for music and audio books. Simple and quick and works every time.

Is there a way to get close to this simplicity on an Iphone ,? I have googled and read about programs like Diskaid , Fileapp ,Syncios and guides like this 6 Ways To Sync Music To Your iPhone Without iTunes But does this only work as storage and renders the files not usable by the phone itself or is maybe another app needed to enable iOS to display and utilize the media files?

Any other advice on how to make this as simple as possible ? I am willing to jailbreak the phone if possible to bypass iTunes and get a more simple funcitnality for media transfer.

Last edited:
Welcome to iPhoneForums, we hope that you'll enjoy your stay with us and that you enjoy your iOS device as well.

Please take the time to peruse our Forum Rules and we would appreciate it if all users were to abide by them.

MediaMonkey for your computer. It does the same thing that iTunes does when it comes to syncing music over minus iTunes entirely. I personally HATE iTunes for the same reason, where it's not friendly in terms of UI, and a lot of features are missing because of their unfriendly UI choices. I've found MediaMonkey, iExplorer, and iFunBox to do the trick just right.

In terms of a jailbreak, more than likely, the iOS on your device is not jailbreakable at the moment at all, though there is an untethered jailbreak that should crop up relatively soon for that specific iOS. iOS 7 will be released as early as next week as well. Neither will be jailbreakable within the next week, but iOS 6.1.3 and 6.1.4 will be jailbreakable, again, relatively soon.

Play around with a few utilities for the computer. I've personally found the above 3 to be the most effective. For all 3, you'll need iTunes installed solely for the iPhone drivers with the exception of iExplorer, which does use iTunes's core and does not reflect iTunes' unfriendly UI in any way. All 3 utilities do take a bit of time to understand and fidget around with, but ultimately they serve as better tools compared to iTunes.

willerz2
Welcome to iPhoneForums, we hope that you'll enjoy your stay with us and that you enjoy your iOS device as well.

Please take the time to peruse our Forum Rules and we would appreciate it if all users were to abide by them.

MediaMonkey for your computer. It does the same thing that iTunes does when it comes to syncing music over minus iTunes entirely. I personally HATE iTunes for the same reason, where it's not friendly in terms of UI, and a lot of features are missing because of their unfriendly UI choices. I've found MediaMonkey, iExplorer, and iFunBox to do the trick just right.

In terms of a jailbreak, more than likely, the iOS on your device is not jailbreakable at the moment at all, though there is an untethered jailbreak that should crop up relatively soon for that specific iOS. iOS 7 will be released as early as next week as well. Neither will be jailbreakable within the next week, but iOS 6.1.3 and 6.1.4 will be jailbreakable, again, relatively soon.

Play around with a few utilities for the computer. I've personally found the above 3 to be the most effective. For all 3, you'll need iTunes installed solely for the iPhone drivers with the exception of iExplorer, which does use iTunes's core and does not reflect iTunes' unfriendly UI in any way. All 3 utilities do take a bit of time to understand and fidget around with, but ultimately they serve as better tools compared to iTunes.

Thanks for the reply and advice willerz2 , i installed mediamonkey and tried syching an avi and a mkv file , the avi woekd fine but when i tried the mkv it said unsupported by device. Is there a workaround to this?

By default, iOS only supports a selected few formats, primarily MP4. You'd need apps like VLC from the AppStore that has support of a wide range of media formats and import it for view using VLC.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk