What's new

How to transfer data to the iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricon7

Reaction score
I downloaded an app called Dropbox, where you can (I assume) upload data to their server, then access it via your iPhone to listen to your audio, watch your video, etc, without having to actually have it on your phone. I downloaded the app and synced it with iTunes on my laptop, but I don't know where to go from there. How does a person (I don't know if my problem is specific to this application or not) transfer personal data from one's laptop to use on the iPhone? It's not like I can click and drop - is it?

Dropbox on the iPhone only supports "Photos, docs and videos"

This is stated in their very first sentence of the application description on the Apple App Market.

Get the dropbox software for your computer, it will be like a folder and apear in the system tray of you computer when you close or minimize it. Open up that dropbox folder on you computer and drag and drop your files to that dorpbox folder. After ot finish uploading, you will be able to view them on the dropbox app on your phone. Remember that, when you drag and drop files into the dropbox folder, files you drag and drop are completely move to dropbox folder, which means that incase you will get tired of dropbox and decide to erase all files in the folder, you are deleting all your files completely from you computer. So with dropbox, instead of draging and droping, you should copy and paste to make sure that the original files are at their original location.

Get the dropbox software for your computer, it will be like a folder and apear in the system tray of you computer when you close or minimize it. Open up that dropbox folder on you computer and drag and drop your files to that dorpbox folder. After ot finish uploading, you will be able to view them on the dropbox app on your phone. Remember that, when you drag and drop files into the dropbox folder, files you drag and drop are completely move to dropbox folder, which means that incase you will get tired of dropbox and decide to erase all files in the folder, you are deleting all your files completely from you computer. So with dropbox, instead of draging and droping, you should copy and paste to make sure that the original files are at their original location.

Ok, that makes sense. I had initially tried to click on the Dropbox app icon in iTunes after it downloaded, but that didn't get me anywhere, nor did it pop-up a workable menu. I'll see when I get home if there's a Dropbox folder in my system tray. Thanks. :cool:

Ok, that makes sense. I had initially tried to click on the Dropbox app icon in iTunes after it downloaded, but that didn't get me anywhere, nor did it pop-up a workable menu. I'll see when I get home if there's a Dropbox folder in my system tray. Thanks. :cool:
You will need to dowbload the dropbox software from internet and install it into your computer BEFORE you can see it in the system tray of your computer. It has nothing to do with itunes. So when you get home, open google, and search "download dropbox for windows" click on the first link, download and install, after installation, login with your existing account or create a new account. After you login, the dropbox folder will open and you can start copying your documents in it. By default, drop box is set to start at the same time windows start, so that next time you start your computer, dropbox will be in the system tray, you can open it up from the system tray and add or remove files.

I don't use dropbox i find it difficult to use. Please check out my app reviews [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNkYeayUqNM]YouTube - ‪Best Free Apps For iPhone - 25 May 2011‬‏[/ame]

Hey guys, this discussion was from 2011, probably resolved and dated info here.

Status
Not open for further replies.