What's new

Moving audio files off your iPhone

Tricon7

Reaction score
I don't use iTunes - I use iFunBox, which is way simpler. But I was wanting to know how do I transfer audio recordings to my laptop from the Voice Memos option under Utilities? I don't see those files either when using iFunBox or through Windows Explorer. I have some hour-long or more recordings that I'd like to burn to CD, but they're too big and too many to email.

Try iExplorer instead. It'll have the Voice Memo broken down individually. I've done this with iExplorer in the past, never with iFunBox, but it should be in the Voice Memo branch in the tree.

I checked this program on Google and it mentions using it in conjunction with iTunes. Can one use iExplorer *without* iTunes? I despise iTunes and am searching for a way to do what I need to without it.

It relies on the iTunes' base, all it is is really a UI change that allows root access or backup access. What I mean is that you can use iExplorer to root the device (only helpful on jailbroken devices), or, it can make a backup of your device and act as a "backup extractor" and pull data in their raw form out of the device, meaning you can rip the MP3 files straight out of your device, or your MP4 movies, your text messages, etc

It relies on the iTunes' base, all it is is really a UI change that allows root access or backup access. What I mean is that you can use iExplorer to root the device (only helpful on jailbroken devices), or, it can make a backup of your device and act as a "backup extractor" and pull data in their raw form out of the device, meaning you can rip the MP3 files straight out of your device, or your MP4 movies, your text messages, etc

Okay, so this still means having to use iTunes? I'm not sure I follow - if I'm going to have to use it anyway, I don't see the point in using iExplorer. My whole point was to get away from iTunes.

** Addendum - I found an online site which did a walkthrough on how to move audio files through iTunes. Once one's device is synced with the computer, you click your device on the left, then click the "Music" option on the right. Under it if you select "Sync Music" you can check the "Include Voice Memos" option, and it will move your files onto your computer.

HOWEVER - when I checked the Sync Music box I got a popup that said "Are you sure you want to remove existing music, movies, TV shows, books, and tones from this iphone and sync with this itunes library?" I'm not sure at all. My voice memos/recordings are probably in this list of stuff it's warning me about removing. Am I misreading something?

Last edited: