What's new

HOW TO - Fix Recovery Loop following a downgrade

I followed everything step by step and everything went as planned until the last step where it re entered into recovery mode :(

I followed the steps of the OP and after doing all the steps when i clicked exit revovery mode i would exit out but loop right back into it.

THANK YOU f4780y...
I followed by letter all the steps in your first post (even downgrading iTunes) and IT WORKED like a charm
I just subscribed the forum to thank you... I've been loosing my mind trying to restore with iTunes 10.4.1

FAO the original poster, I've signed up with this site for one reason and one reason only... to say thank you... I can't even begin to compare my level of gratitude with anything else. You mate have single handily prevented my iPhone from being rendered a very expensive ornament. It's been out of action for 3 hours before now, I tried literally everything on the internet to get it back up and working, each time I got the dreaded 3149 error, the unknown (1) error, the constant DFU loop. I honestly was convinced I'd screwed up big style, my head is hurting from pounding it in stress.

Basically I had 4.3.5, jailbroken tethered with redsn0w. Tried to update to iOS5, fail. So I tried to restore to factory 4.3.5 using iTunes, fail, got the 3149 error, then I was stuck, my device had been wiped, when I couldn't boot tethered or restore using the Tinyumbrella trick, that was a sickening feeling I'm telling ya. I tried restoring to 4.3.5 using iTunes, 4.3.4, 5.0.0, literally dead.
I'd lost hope when I found your guide, I saw all the old version references and the date of the post and thought DAMN (I actually used more colourful language than that but I guess that's against forum rules!) but I tried it anyway, hey, I was beyond desperate.
I got to the pineapple screen with the spinny thing and then though NOOOOOOO!!! When I exit recovery mode, my device won't reboot cos I'm using that 4.3.5 redsn0w which was a tethered boot only!! Somehow miraculously I managed to start up redsn0w again and did the boot tethered, and it worked!!
When I say worked, I had a blank device! Foreign garble on screen, emergency calls only, no sim recognised. Then BOOM it came back to life! My iTunes then successfully restored it from last nights backup!! (I've done about 23 backups today so I dont know why its doing last nights but seriously, no way am I complaining). And now it's syncing, which will take some time, but I'm back in business from what felt like certain doom.

Mate, it's people like you that make the internet such a miracle, I might sound like I'm exagerating but that phone costs the best part of £500, that's £500 I could really do without spending again right now. And my girlfriend is currently in Ethiopia (random) so to lose contact would be devastating. So thank you again, and I hope this article helps others out there.

p.s ABSOLUTELY NO WAY AM I EVER EVER EVER JAILBREAKING MY IPHONE AGAIN! It was bloody pointless and useless all along, best I got out of it was 5 icons at the bottom.

However! I've just tried updating to iOS5 through iTunes and I'm still getting the 3149 error, eh?! Surely there should now be no trace of jailbroken software on my device? Any idea?

*Edit again, maybe I should have waited before being so jolly. Now Safari will no longer work, shuts down on open. I have really screwed this up I think. Question then. Bearing in mind the above, and the fact I've previously used redsn0w (i still have the cydia icon although it doesnt work), can I completely restore my device to 4.3.5 or even into 5.0.0 using iTunes? I don't want I'm really scared of doing it now in case I get back into the situation I was in before, but I want everything to do with jailbreak completely off my phone

Last edited:
FAO the original poster, I've signed up with this site for one reason and one reason only... to say thank you... I can't even begin to compare my level of gratitude with anything else. You mate have single handily prevented my iPhone from being rendered a very expensive ornament. It's been out of action for 3 hours before now, I tried literally everything on the internet to get it back up and working, each time I got the dreaded 3149 error, the unknown (1) error, the constant DFU loop. I honestly was convinced I'd screwed up big style, my head is hurting from pounding it in stress.

Basically I had 4.3.5, jailbroken tethered with redsn0w. Tried to update to iOS5, fail. So I tried to restore to factory 4.3.5 using iTunes, fail, got the 3149 error, then I was stuck, my device had been wiped, when I couldn't boot tethered or restore using the Tinyumbrella trick, that was a sickening feeling I'm telling ya. I tried restoring to 4.3.5 using iTunes, 4.3.4, 5.0.0, literally dead.
I'd lost hope when I found your guide, I saw all the old version references and the date of the post and thought DAMN (I actually used more colourful language than that but I guess that's against forum rules!) but I tried it anyway, hey, I was beyond desperate.
I got to the pineapple screen with the spinny thing and then though NOOOOOOO!!! When I exit recovery mode, my device won't reboot cos I'm using that 4.3.5 redsn0w which was a tethered boot only!! Somehow miraculously I managed to start up redsn0w again and did the boot tethered, and it worked!!
When I say worked, I had a blank device! Foreign garble on screen, emergency calls only, no sim recognised. Then BOOM it came back to life! My iTunes then successfully restored it from last nights backup!! (I've done about 23 backups today so I dont know why its doing last nights but seriously, no way am I complaining). And now it's syncing, which will take some time, but I'm back in business from what felt like certain doom.

Mate, it's people like you that make the internet such a miracle, I might sound like I'm exagerating but that phone costs the best part of £500, that's £500 I could really do without spending again right now. And my girlfriend is currently in Ethiopia (random) so to lose contact would be devastating. So thank you again, and I hope this article helps others out there.

p.s ABSOLUTELY NO WAY AM I EVER EVER EVER JAILBREAKING MY IPHONE AGAIN! It was bloody pointless and useless all along, best I got out of it was 5 icons at the bottom.

However! I've just tried updating to iOS5 through iTunes and I'm still getting the 3149 error, eh?! Surely there should now be no trace of jailbroken software on my device? Any idea?

*Edit again, maybe I should have waited before being so jolly. Now Safari will no longer work, shuts down on open. I have really screwed this up I think. Question then. Bearing in mind the above, and the fact I've previously used redsn0w (i still have the cydia icon although it doesnt work), can I completely restore my device to 4.3.5 or even into 5.0.0 using iTunes? I don't want I'm really scared of doing it now in case I get back into the situation I was in before, but I want everything to do with jailbreak completely off my phone

W0W. That's some post. Thanks for the comments. Now, lets try and fix things. It should be easy.

If you want IOS5 stock, the thing you need to do is get your hosts file pointing back to Apple. You can either do this by manually editing your hosts file and remove all references to gs.apple.com, OR run TinyUmbrella, switch to the "Advanced" tab, and UNTICK "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit", then close TinyUmbrella. After either of these you should now be pointing back to Apple servers and will be able to install IOS5. You won't get the 1394 error any more if you did it right.

You would be best to put your phone in DFU mode BEFORE you start the IOS5 restore - See here for help - DFU Mode for Dummies

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Hi Orginal poster (F4780y),
I have tried to downgrade iphone 4 ( GSM )to 4.3.5 to 4.3.3. It got (itune logo and usb cable)recovery loop. It was before I found this post. I could not kick the phone out of the recovery loop and I tried to restore back to 4.3.5 with itune (10.4). It ended up in recovery mode and the phone can not put in DFU mode. That's why I can not follow your original post. Any advice? Thanks in advance...

Thanks for the response mate. At 12:30am I managed to get iOS5 on, considering I'd been at it since 6pm I was too tired and exhausted to update the post!
Basically although Cydia was still present but not working, I took a punt and did another restore/update via factory settings. Received the common 3194 error, even had a 3173 error which had no reference at all on the net. I kept trying and eventually it went through.
Thanks again tho mate if it hadn't have been for your post I would have still been stuck in a recovery loop :)

Please note, I have updated the first post with new instructions.

It is now possible to fix the recovery loops directly from within the new redsn0w beta, and I have tested this out today downgrading an iPhone4 to 4.3.3. It was quick, simple, and fixed the recovery loop on the first attempt.

Hope this helps!

Please note, I have updated the first post with new instructions.

It is now possible to fix the recovery loops directly from within the new redsn0w beta, and I have tested this out today downgrading an iPhone4 to 4.3.3. It was quick, simple, and fixed the recovery loop on the first attempt.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

I have followed your instructions but my phone still in dfu mode. the only way to get in the screen is using the JUST BOOT TETHERED funcion of last redsnow. The fix recovery function doesn't solve my problem unfortunately. After trying several times restore and fix recovery + just boot tethered for my suprise my phone now don't show anything more on the screen and i have only a black screen but i can pefectly ear the sounds of phone inclusive is recognized by itunes (but when i power off still in DFU mode). So i'm with serious problems because now my screen is completely black.

PS. i use gevey

Thanks for all,
Stacker

Last edited:
Hi everybody,
I've been going crazy, for the last week, my iphone (never jailbreacked) was stuck on a recovery loop... Perhaps for the reason that i had for this period a very bad internet connection, that my iphone tried to upgrade to IOS 5.0 and the one before in the same day.

I don't know why but i had error messages in Itunes when i tried to do it : 1013, 1014, 1015 one after the other. Yesterday i saw some change : it was error code -1, then -2 and again -1 on a loop.

Now, with your fix, i see some progress at last: my phone isn't on a recovery mode anymore, but it start up with the page where i choose my language, country, and it asks to connect to Itunes. At this point, it becomes weird again: Itunes freeze for a minute (the little colored beachball), it detects my Iphone, the double arrow spins for a second or two... and my Iphone disconnect from the computer before shutting down and starting again!

So it's not a recovery loop anymore, but it's a loop nonetheless.

So after spending several hours in an apple store today to meet a "genius" who only tried to connect the Iphone to a computer and after seeing the error message told me to buy another one, i come here and find a partial solution. All of this to say i'd really be grateful if somebody knew how to make this Igarbage in an Iphone again!

Thanks in advance if somebody has a solution.

Iphone3GS (Ios 5.0 maybe)
macbookpro 15" (OS snow léopard)

i'm still in dfu mode. if i restore to 4.2.1 the only way to get back is using the option: just boot tethered of redsnow. some idea to fix this? fixrecovery seems to don't work in my case...

WOW! just like the previous user, i thought i was out of luck! I looked and GOOGLED everywhere!!

I tried restoring my phone to the same firmware 4.3.2 while using a SHSH blob. I was using tinyumbrella and Itunes to restore and everything looked like it was working properly until BAM! 3/4 of the way to completion, Itunes threw an error and it kept on boot looping. No matter what i did, the restore never finished and iTunes kept on saying i was in recovery mode. The tutorial i was using said that was common and all I had to do was use tinyumbrella to Exit Recovery. That didn't fix it. I then tried putting it in DFU mode to Fix Recovery but it never worked and kept on rebooting. I tired all these other application, ireb and recboot to exit recovery but with no luck.

I then saw your post so i thought i would give Redsn0w a shot. Instead of selecting recovery fix (because the version i had didn't have that option), i went ahead and did a Install Cydia, The redsn0w pinapple guy showed up and did it's thing but it was stuck on "Installing Activation Bundles". I waited for some time but after doing a google search, people said to use tinyumbrella to exit recovery. This is where i should have paid attention, i don't remember if the redsn0w install actually completed and i so happen to start the tinyumbrella application or if i pressed Exit recovery in tinyumbrella. So either wait 5-10 minutes and if nothing happens, go into tinyumbrella to exit recovery.