What's new

How to backup iOS firmware?

Maxxd

Reaction score
In iTunes, in devices, I I choose "Back up", but then I do "restore from a backup", and I get the information that will only restore photos, musics (....).

I want to backup the firmware if I need to use the warranty (backuping before the JB). What am I doing wrong?

I'm on 4.3.5.

You can't backup the firmware. You can get firmware files from Download iOS Firmware. The iTunes backup is just to back up your settings, contacts, pics, videos, etc.

Sorry, I think I'm still just to used to Android way of work.

So, if I have the 4.3.5 Jailbreaked and I want to unjailbreak it I just apply the 4.3.5 "original" firmware and then JB it's gone?

You will no longer be able to restore 4.3.5 without SHSH since it is not being signed. In order to unjailbreak you would just hit "restore" in iTunes which would replace your firmware with a factory iOS5 firmware.

You will no longer be able to restore 4.3.5 without SHSH since it is not being signed. In order to unjailbreak you would just hit "restore" in iTunes which would replace your firmware with a factory iOS5 firmware.

Even to restore to same iOS version we need SHSH blobs? lol....

Last edited:
Yes, you need SHSH to restore to any older firmware, Apple only signs the most current firmware so you need your SHSH to trick iTunes into letting you restore a previous firmware.