What's new

How much data does Siri use per month?

wicked

Reaction score

siri.100411.001.jpg

Siri on the iPhone 4S requires a data connection to operate, and recent tests of Apple’s new voice control service has found that it uses an average of 63KB per query. When Siri was first announced, people were curious how it would affect users who had a capped data plan. It turns out that someone who uses Siri 10 to 15 times a day would use a total of 18.5 MB to 27.7 MB in one month. That’s not too bad.

The assumption has been that Siri was a data hog. The assistant relies on Apple’s servers for even the simplest of demands. This constant exchange of data during use could have an incredible impact on user data usage. Jacqui Cheng’s findings, of Ars Tehnica may come as a relief to some.

The incredible small amount of data was found by doing 11 different tasks with six of them being “local” and five that required online access. Local tasks averaged 36.7 KB per query, and online requests utilizing Wolfram Alpha or Web search averaged 94.72 KB. Four text dictations were also ran using short e-mails and two text messages and they averaged 75.5 KB per query. This proves longer messages require more processing by Apple’s servers and more bandwidth.

There’s not a great deal to get worried about based on those figures, then, and it’s worth noting that if you’re hooked up to Wi-Fi, Siri won’t eat any of your data allowance at all. Those that may need to keep an eye on things are the ones with pay-as-you-go plans, who often pay more for data, or those with very low monthly allowances.

by Radu Tyrsina

Source: AppleInsider

Its better if there's a botton to switch on and off the 3g, so that its only use wifi.. I dont know if there is already
like that cuz 4s not yet here.. *_*

Its better if there's a botton to switch on and off the 3g, so that its only use wifi.. I dont know if there is already like that cuz 4s not yet here.. *_*
There is an option to turn 3G off. It's under Settings... just can't remember the path to take. On my 4 it's... Swipe across the status bar, then toggle "3G" off. LOL!! Of course that's w/ SBSettings on a Jailbreak.

There is an option to turn 3G off. It's under Settings... just can't remember the path to take. On my 4 it's... Swipe across the status bar, then toggle "3G" off. LOL!! Of course that's w/ SBSettings on a Jailbreak.

Yea under sbsetting ^_^ tnx,, if not jailbreak no option i think.