What's new

How do I ...?

flyfishingphil

Reaction score
icon5.png
Just joined in on the iPhone with the new 5 and feel totally lost on what I need to work between the laptop and the iPhone, what apps I need for each, how to do things like add ringtones, (can it use mp3 or is something else needed) how to delete music from the phone music file, and too much more to list. (Had android and was used to that but had signal problems and the i5 stays in contact with signal better.) Checked owners manual but it, like most, doesn't tell you much more than how to turn it on and off.

Any suggestions on what I may need to put into my computer (using Win Vista side mount because linux not workable) and so far have only done the iTunes app in the laptop. Please keep in mind when it comes to the iPhone you are talking to a total newbie so I need directions from step 1, not starting with figuring I've got what I need I just need to fine tune.

Thanks for any assists.

ffp

Welcome to the iPhone Forums, one of the best iPhone forums anywhere. You will find members from around the world who are willing to help with any questions or problems you may have. If you have a question and a search of the forum threads doesn't provide the answer you need, don't hesitate to ask questions. If you haven't already done so, please take the time to readour rules before posting.

Have you tried the online user guide? If you go to this site you can download the iPhone user guide and guides for all current Apple devices. Apple - Support - Manuals

Thanks for the quick assist. I downloaded that one and did a quick once thru. Not very helpful except on base operation. Saw nothing on how to remove music from the library, add ringtones/alerts or just about anything else that wasn't "stock operation".

Just joined in on the iPhone with the new 5 and feel totally lost on what I need to work between the laptop and the iPhone, what apps I need for each, how to do things like add ringtones, (can it use mp3 or is something else needed) how to delete music from the phone music file, and too much more to list. (Had android and was used to that but had signal problems and the i5 stays in contact with signal better.) Checked owners manual but it, like most, doesn't tell you much more than how to turn it on and off.

I came from a droid as well and do miss the simple procedure for saving mp3s for ring tones and alerts. However, it's just a minor thing compared to everything else about the 5 that blows my droid away.

As far as adding ringtones, maybe this might help: Make Free iPhone Ringtones in iTunes

JT, Sorry about the delay in responding. Never received a notification of your responding. I've been thru those steps so many times I've got a headache and no matter what I do I don't get the "Are you sure you want to change..." window. As a matter of fact I don't even see a way to change the file extension. Is there someplace that gives detail on how to change the "file extension" as directed? I don't see that selection anywhere regardless of what I try.

Thanks for the assist.

EDIT: Could the problem be that I am trying to convert mp3 ringtones? Not cutting pieces out of "whole" songs. I do have the "AAC" version of the mp3 tones, but that's as far as I can get. If anybody knows of a good piece on getting started for the total newbie to iPhone let me know, PLEASE!

Last edited:
JT, Sorry about the delay in responding. Never received a notification of your responding. I've been thru those steps so many times I've got a headache and no matter what I do I don't get the "Are you sure you want to change..." window. As a matter of fact I don't even see a way to change the file extension. Is there someplace that gives detail on how to change the "file extension" as directed? I don't see that selection anywhere regardless of what I try.

If you find the file in whatever folder its saved in on your computer, you can change it by clicking once on it which enables editing of the file title.

Thanks for the assist.

EDIT: Could the problem be that I am trying to convert mp3 ringtones? Not cutting pieces out of "whole" songs. I do have the "AAC" version of the mp3 tones, but that's as far as I can get. If anybody knows of a good piece on getting started for the total newbie to iPhone let me know, PLEASE!

Someone with a little more experience with an iphone is going to have to help you here. I've only had mine for a month and I'm still learning. :)

UPDATE: Was gone on a fishing trip for a while and just got back to try again on the ringtones.

Downloaded several m4r's and saved them to Tones in iTunes. Hooked up the phone, went to file and clicked on Sync. It said it was completed so I went into iPhone 5 and started looking around. None of the ringtones show in it anywhere.

Suggestions?

Another question. Is there a way to assign seperate ringtones to different email addresses? Have several accounts and would like to know if it's one that needs immediate response (buisness) or one that can wait a bit.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Was gone on a fishing trip for a while and just got back to try again on the ringtones.

Downloaded several m4r's and saved them to Tones in iTunes. Hooked up the phone, went to file and clicked on Sync. It said it was completed so I went into iPhone 5 and started looking around. None of the ringtones show in it anywhere.

Suggestions?

Another question. Is there a way to assign seperate ringtones to different email addresses? Have several accounts and would like to know if it's one that needs immediate response (buisness) or one that can wait a bit.

Are you manually managing the tones or syncing the tones? iTunes is one of the most user unfriendly programs I've used and it rarely works like someone wants it to. I personally found I've have more success syncing tones rather than manually managing, your mileage will vary.

Second question, yes you can set different tones for different emails. Settings -> Notifications -> Mail -> then the account you want to change and you can change it there under new mail tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverado8405. Downloaded the ConverterLite again and gave it another try. Took a couple of times before I figured the easiest way, and the one that worked, was to do the m4r convert selection at start up. Got them converted and tried to Sync a couple of times but got nowhere with that. Finally did a highlight of everything in iTunes tones and drug them over to the phone Tones and they transferred just fine. (I'm the guy that always get the things that only work the complicated way!)

Went into the phone and figured out how to assign seperate tones to each of the emails and got that done. Doing the same in the Contacts was easy. Thanks for the response.

mwhartmann. Thanks for the response. I'll check out the tips listed. Don't have a Mac and nothing usable on Linux yet so stuck with the Window$ version on this for now. Will see what I can learn, although that may take some time.

ffp