What's new

How do I get ringtone/notification tones on iPhone 5?

Mikej7

Reaction score
I have researched this subject but still have a question.
I have converted a couple .mp3 files to .aiff and .caf - which is what the iphone needs based on my research.
I do not wish to connect to a pc and use iTunes if possible.
Is there a way to install these via download from an email attachment?
Or, if I must use iTunes, what would I do in iTunes to get them on the phone. I already have them in the "tones" folder in iTunes.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

The ringtones have to be in M4A format and renamed with the extension M4R. Unless you are jailbroken, you have to use iTunes to install them.

Thanks. I just converted my personal notifications to the .m4a.
Can I just right click them in Windows and change the extension, or do I have to do the renaming to .m4r in iTunes?

You have to use Windows to change the extension. iTunes won't see it as a ringtone till it ends in .M4R

I use winscp (its free) and i wirelessly connect to phone and transfer what i like to ringtones folder. You can download Unlimtones from cydia and download directly sms and ringtones to iphone.

I use winscp (its free) and i wirelessly connect to phone and transfer what i like to ringtones folder. You can download Unlimtones from cydia and download directly sms and ringtones to iphone.

And that solution requires the phone to be Jailbroken just in case anyone wants to go that route.

Thanks for the replies - will do as soon as my 5 arrives - been waiting 3 weeks since order.

When I added my .m4r files to iTunes it would not sync to my iphone. I had to copy them from the Library "tones" folder to the iPhone's "tones" folder, but that worked fine