What's new

How do I unmerge two seperate iPhone numbers and make them independent?

sandyseeworld

Reaction score
I have an AT&T Family Share plan but I don't think my problem is related to AT&T. Just recently I discovered that when a person is calling my girlfriend's cell number the call is also sent to my cell number. It appears as though iTunes thinks that the two numbers are shared but this is not the case. How do I stop this merging of cell numbers and make each number independent as it should be. This just happened when my girlfriend updated her iPhone Operating System a few days ago.

It sounds like one of the features of iOS 8 called Continuity, which, among other things, allows phone calls made to one device to be shared by all devices with the same iTunes account.

If you and your girlfriend are sharing an iTunes account; to stop it, go to Settings>FaceTime>iPhone Cellular Calls on your iPhone and make sure it is turned off. BTW, this also works in the other direction so you could ask your girlfriend to turn off iPhone Cellular Calls in the same way.

One last thing, was the iOS update that your girlfriend did a few days ago an update to iOS 8? This feature of sharing phone calls among devices using the same iTunes account is turned on by default when updating.

Last edited:
See Scifan's post. He has advised you how to stop this.
You may also want to have separate iTunes account. You will be able to share your music and apps as well as your list and calendar items if you choose, even with separate accounts.

Just a side note, you can share apps as long as the developer allows it. Apps that can't be shared are clearly marked in the App Store.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

It sounds like one of the features of iOS 8 called Continuity, which, among other things, allows phone calls made to one device to be shared by all devices with the same iTunes account.

If you and your girlfriend are sharing an iTunes account; to stop it, go to Settings>FaceTime>iPhone Cellular Calls on your iPhone and make sure it is turned off. BTW, this also works in the other direction so you could ask your girlfriend to turn off iPhone Cellular Calls in the same way.

One last thing, was the iOS update that your girlfriend did a few days ago an update to iOS 8? This feature of sharing phone calls among devices using the same iTunes account is turned on by default when updating.
Thanks for the advice Scifan 57. I'll give it a try. Yes the update was iOS 8.