What's new

how do I activate iphone 4s without SIM card?

MacGuyver

Reaction score
I am trying to set up an iPhone 4s , but I can't set it up because the SIM card I'm using keeps saying that it is invalid.

I think the phone is locked to a US cell carrier. I would like to be able to activate it and jailbreak it so I can unlock it.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how to do this please.I have watched a couple of videos on doing it by using the emergency call feature , and entering a certain code. I wasn't sure if these tutorials were still valid , though.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there's no way to activate an iPhone without a SIM card. If your phone is locked to a specific carrier, you're going to need a SIM card from that carrier in order for you to activate the phone. If you don't know which carrier it's locked to, you may have to try different SIM cards until you find one that works.

it was previously on AT&T. I re-set the phone because I wanted to get rid of the photos and music , apps, etc.

I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to activate it without the AT&T SIM card.

So, what do I need to do to use this phone?
Can I use any old AT&T SIM card?

Activate with AT&T SIM, jailbreak , and then unlock so I can use another SIM card?

What's the deal with the videos I've seen on youtube promoting a factory unlock?
Does this really work , or is it a scam?

Any AT&T SIM card will allow you to activate the phone to use it as an iPod. Jailbreaking and unlocking are two completely unrelated procedures. Jailbreaking is not necessary to unlock the phone.

A lot of the sites advertising unlocking services are little more than scams. I purchase all my iPhones factory unlocked so I have no experience in recommending which service to use.

oh, I thought I would be able to unlock it after jailbreaking it.

thanks for the replies anyhow.