What's new

how and to which version should i upgrade my iphone 3gs (unlocked/jailbroken)

Qxx1

Reaction score
hello i have iphone 3GS which is unlocked and jailbroken and i want to upgrade it.
First of all will it slow the phone down?
will creating backup from itunes save all my stuff on the phone??(contacts, notes,apps) or do i need to find another way to preserve my contacts n notes??

It(the phone) has the following:-
it has cydia
about the phone:-
version----------- 4.2.1
carrier------------ carrier 9.0
modern firmware---6.15.00
serial number------841085******

so now tell me what i need to download and what steps do i have to follow. I looked over the net for this and all i could get is, confusion in bulk! im not sure what is to be done and how so i came here..
i have downloaded redsn0w_win_0.9.12b1, do i even need this?? or i need ultrasnow or something else!!!
waiting

Last edited by a moderator:
You can only go up to iOS 6 now since you don't have any blobs for any of the other iOS. There's a semi-untethered jailbreak for non-A5 devices (for all devices except the iPad 2/3 + iPhone 4S/5). You can, however, preserve the baseband using RedSn0w. Get the iOS 6 IPSW, and preserve the baseband for your device through it then use that same IPSW to upgrade

Well, first things first. You have the iPad baseband on there, which is great for unlocking, but bad for many other reasons. We have had a way to rectify that and get phones back onto an unlockable iPhone baseband 05.13.04 for a while now. Details here - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-unlocking-69/downgrading-3g-3gs-baseband-05-13-04-a-42452/

Next, since you are jailbroken and unlokced, it not clear that you wouldn't have any SHSH Blobs as willerz2 suggested ;) Cydia may have some for you. You can download them and check which ones by following this tutorial here - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/h...ave-your-shsh-blobs-using-tinyumbrella-18924/

Once you know what blobs you have, you can make a decision about which firmware you want to upgrade to. Since you obviously rely on ultrasn0w for the unlock, I would caution against considering IOS6. The jailbreak is not official yet and it remains tethered. Use our thread here to consider what the best untethered choice might be for you - http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/iphone-jailbreaking-17/jailbreaking-methods-iphone-18519/. I'm afraid I don't know anyone with a 3GS on IOS6 so can't comment on the performance.

Just remember to preserve your baseband, otherwise you risk losing your unlock!

Finally, since you are new around here you get a friendly warning. Don't be a pirate. We don't support folks that steal software here. Your jailbreak is not intended to allow you to steal app store apps you would normally pay for. Our rues are clear on this subject.

Reminder - Rule 15

Discussion of pirated or cracked applications and any methods associated with enabling their use, such as posting app or repository names, is forbidden on this forum. This also includes discussion of illegally obtaining media such as music, movies, games, books or other copyrighted content.

Piracy is illegal and the staff of iPhoneForums.net neither supports or condones it in any way. Jailbreaking and hacking is not an excuse to steal or pirate software!

Discussions, links, and sharing of any piracy related topics, apps, repositories, etc., will be deleted and the member will receive a warning which may lead to a ban.

Good luck.

Last edited:
thanks for replying willerz2 and f4780y..
ok so what i need to do is first i have to downgrade my firmware (did`nt knew how to do that, thanks for the link), after that i do the TinyUmbrella
stuff right??

i need to create backup of my contacts, messages,calander and notes how can i do that??
i created backup in itunes where it shows my other mobile`s named profiles from outlook so it will merge all of them. How can i create a fresh backup in outlook(the data in there is from my older phone which is no more in use). How can i erase it all and put all of my iphones??

A normal backup should be OK, however I am not an Outlook user and so will let others advise you on that.

okey..just downgraded successfully :) modern firmware now 5.13.04
my heart was beating fast while it waited too long a couple of times..
moving on to next step..

ok, TinyUmbrella stuff also done, it gives following under the general tab
iPhone3GS 4.1(8B117)
iPhone3GS 4.3.4(8K2)
iPhone3GS 4.3.5(8L1)
iPhone3GS 6.0gm(10A403)

what does it all mean?? can i upgrade to 5.1.1(because i already have downloaded the ipsw) ???i want untethered one, please suggest which will be best? and after i upgrade my iOS will i need to upgrade/downgrade my base band again?

That means you only have blobs to install those 4 versions of IOS. You can't do 5.1.1. It has nothing to do with having anything downloaded. No saved blobs means no install, and you cannot get them for 5.1.1 now, it is too late.

Looks like your only option here is to stay on 4.2.1 until an jailbreak for IOS 6 is released and ultrasn0w gets any updates it needs for IOS6. That could be a while yet! Sorry :(

Not much help, but this is a lesson on why it is so important to always keep saving your blobs every time a new version of IOS is released!

damn..well ya its a lesson for future for sure and also i got to learn a bit about all this stuff.
well then i guess i wont be able to read pfd files on my iphone now since itunes puts pdf files in phone but also says that i wont be able to read them since i dont have iBook and that requires higher iOS, i downloaded a few free pdf readers but they dont show my pdf files in the phone.
Any suggestions on this..
other than that this thread can be closed.
Thanks for helping though :)

ok guys now i have quit a few more blobs listed in TU

iPhone3GS 4.1 (8B117)
iPhone3GS 4.3.4 (8K2)
iPhone3GS 4.3.5 (8L1)
iPhone3GS 6.0 (10A403)
iPhone3GS 6.0.1 (10A523)
iPhone3GS 6.1 (10B141)
iPhone3GS 6.1.2 (10B146)

now to which iOS can i upgrade my iPhone 3gs?? (unthethered)
firmware 5.13.04
version 4.2.1(8c148a)
new bootrom

iOS 4.1 is obsolete since almost all apps in the AppStore requires iOS 4.3 and above. iOS 4.3.4 and iOS 4.3.5 are tethered only jailbreaks. iOS 6.0-6.1.2 are untethered jailbreaks. I recommend just upgrading to the latest and jailbreaking using Evasi0n. Keep it simple. You won't need blobs for it. If you need the download links for Evasi0n, check my sig or just head over to the Evasi0n site.

thanks for your reply...
everything was going fine when i got stuck while restoring from itunes..
here is what i did...

step 1 & 2:> Download iOS 6.1.2 IPSW and Sn0wbreeze 2.9.13 to the desktop and launch it (run as administrator).
Step 3:> Hit Browse button to locate the iOS 6.1.2 firmware file that was downloaded in Step 1.
Step 4:> Wait until Sn0wbreeze recognizes the device and firmware, and verify that they are correct.
Step 5:> Choose the Simple Mode as it will preserve baseband as well as enable jailbreaking and hacktivating the device later on (unless you don't want something specific and then choose Expert of iFaith mode)
Step 6:> When prompted for Hacktivate process, choose "Yes" and wait until the program rebuilds your custom iOS 6.1.2.
Step 7:> Once the firmware is rebuilt, custom iOS 6.1.2 file should appear on the desktop, you can exit or let sn0wbreeze place the iPhone into pwned DFU mode. If you have exited then later using iREB you can place the iPhone in pwned DFU mode.
Step 8:> Once you are in the Pwned DFU mode, the screen would be black.
Step 9:>Launch iTunes and press Shift key on the computer and click Restore.
Step 10:> Select your custom iOS 6.1.2 firmware that reads something like Sn0wbreeze_iPhone_XXXXXXX. Wait until the installation process completes and then reboot the phone.

--------------------------------------------------> I am stuck here <-----------------------------------------------------

the itunes keeps giving me 1601/2 errors again n again...the phone is in DFU/recovery mode and is not turning on when i press power or home buttons

i tried disabling my antivirus, ending all itunes related programs via task manager, iREB (it says instantely, phone is in pwaned DFU mode something like that), downloaded the latest version of itunes....

what should i do now??

i managed to start the phone atleast...by holding the power and home buttons at the same time, for a while
nothing changed in the phone, its same as it was version and firmware everything is same.

What to do now??

Use RedSn0w. Sn0wBreeze makes it way too complicated to preserve your baseband. Download the iOS 6.1.2 IPSW for the 3GS, download RedSn0w 0.9.15 beta 3. Run it as an admin, go to Extras > Even More > Custom IPSW. It'll say that you can use the Restore feature to preserve your baseband instead. Let RedSn0w guide you to the Restore feature, select the iOS 6.1.2 IPSW, and it'll restore and preserve your baseband at the same time.