What's new

HOME KEY wont work (iOS5.1.1)

crowd pleaser said:
Just for me, go to assistive touch settings and make sure it is turned fully off.

I'm with you as one that won't jail break, to me it means trusting uncontrolled outside of Apple sources not to release buggy/virus or malware apps. While you do get duds from iTunes, Apple do test fir any nasties.

Before anyone rings their hands, screams foul, or 'they have done it many times' just look at the sheer numbers how many threads get made in here about 'problems after i jail broke......', usually on previously working perfectly handsets.

BUT!
in your case, with no access to Apple Stores, and having tried to restore your phone back to 'out if the box' it might be an option i'd consider in your shoes, but read up on it carefully or you can 'brick' it.

You cannot "brick" your iPhone from Jailbreaking.

That is a complete *impossibilty*.

Usually when people have problems from Jailbreaking it's because the didn't follow instructions or they they just installed packages from Cydia without checking to see if they are even compatible or conflict with any other installed packages.

A Jailbroken iPhone is just like a computer. You don't just install whatever looks cool without reading about it (like most new jailbreakers end up doing....then blame the jailbreak for they're problem...when it was just they're negligence).

You *must* research what you may want to install before installing. It's as simple as that.

FYI: no viruses from Jailbreaking either.

There is however a very very small chance that you can install malware on your iPhone from adding an untrustworthy source to the repo list..and installing packages from those.

But in most cases people actually want you to use they're repos...so most of the very well known "none-default" repositories are safe.

It's the ones that you have never heard of from more then one site you need to not add to your sources list.

Last edited:
zig9449 said:
You cannot "brick" your iPhone from Jailbreaking.

That is a complete *impossibilty*.

Usually when people have problems from Jailbreaking it's because the didn't follow instructions or they they just installed packages from Cydia without checking to see if they are even compatible or conflict with any other installed packages.

A Jailbroken iPhone is just like a computer. You don't just install whatever looks cool without reading about it (like most new jailbreakers end up doing....then blame the jailbreak for they're problem...when it was just they're negligence).

You *must* research what you may want to install before installing. It's as simple as that.

FYI: no viruses from Jailbreaking either.

There is however a very very small chance that you can install malware on your iPhone from adding an untrustworthy source to the repo list..and installing packages from those.

But in most cases people actually want you to use they're repos...so most of the very well known "none-default" repositories are safe.

It's the ones that you have never heard of from more then one site you need to not add to your sources list.

thank you or your reply, and i do respect your POV.

i use my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 for business, to me they are absolutely vital. i have been through both psion and several buggy windows devices, even used Treo phones. nothing has given me close the sheer reliability the Apple products offer (un jailbroken).

My better half has a cheap ebay bought android tablet and an LG 500 Handset - i simply don't like either, mainly due to laggy keyboards. My oldest son has the Asus transformer - quad processors, flashing lights blah blah - which crashes at least twice on a good day !!!.

the above is to show i am not totally 'blinkered', to me to jail break is as good as making you ios device an expensive copy of the lesser (imho) android platform.

with all respects you say it is only software and 'can't be bricked' yet time and again in this very forum, posters having jailbroken we see reports of the phone stuck on the apple logo.

my view us jail breaking is like a gambling, don't do it - unless you can afford the risks of losing it.

you personally may be perfectly capable but others are simply a danger unto themselves confirmed by your recommendations o check on compatibility - how can you do that with no prior experience?

in an open forum there is very little filtering to protect the over confident or plainly very stupid - so imho not wise to recommend it.

thank you or your reply, and i do respect your POV.

i use my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 for business, to me they are absolutely vital. i have been through both psion and several buggy windows devices, even used Treo phones. nothing has given me close the sheer reliability the Apple products offer (un jailbroken).

My better half has a cheap ebay bought android tablet and an LG 500 Handset - i simply don't like either, mainly due to laggy keyboards. My oldest son has the Asus transformer - quad processors, flashing lights blah blah - which crashes at least twice on a good day !!!.

the above is to show i am not totally 'blinkered', to me to jail break is as good as making you ios device an expensive copy of the lesser (imho) android platform.

with all respects you say it is only software and 'can't be bricked' yet time and again in this very forum, posters having jailbroken we see reports of the phone stuck on the apple logo.

my view us jail breaking is like a gambling, don't do it - unless you can afford the risks of losing it.

you personally may be perfectly capable but others are simply a danger unto themselves confirmed by your recommendations o check on compatibility - how can you do that with no prior experience?

in an open forum there is very little filtering to protect the over confident or plainly very stupid - so imho not wise to recommend it.

I'm sorry but you are completely wrong. All jailbreaking does is give you root access to the file system so you aren't "locked down". That's it. The only way you can brick it is if you pull the phone off the cord while its jailbreaking. You only see people complaining because they've done something wrong. All you do to jailbreak is click a button on your computer that says "jailbreak", and let it run for 2 minutes. That's it. And it's not hard to research apps in cydia. 90% of them tell you if it's compatable with your device before you even download it. Some won't even let you download if it's not compatable. Also, if someone isn't sure, there is a website called google that answers every question you could possibly have about anything. So there is really no excuse for messing up your device unless you cant follow VERY simple instructions.

Sent from my cellular device

Chris951 said:
I'm sorry but you are completely wrong. All jailbreaking does is give you root access to the file system so you aren't "locked down". That's it. The only way you can brick it is if you pull the phone off the cord while its jailbreaking. You only see people complaining because they've done something wrong. All you do to jailbreak is click a button on your computer that says "jailbreak", and let it run for 2 minutes. That's it. And it's not hard to research apps in cydia. 90% of them tell you if it's compatable with your device before you even download it. Some won't even let you download if it's not compatable. Also, if someone isn't sure, there is a website called google that answers every question you could possibly have about anything. So there is really no excuse for messing up your device unless you cant follow VERY simple instructions.

Sent from my cellular device

Sincere thanks for keeping your replies friendly :).

Only out of respect for staying on topic i'm stopping here on jail breaking - while remaining totally unconvinced lol!

The o/p needs to register the problem with Apple to prove it happened within warranty. He won't be the only person who has had an issue like this, they can best advise perhaps get a swapped unit via his home country.

hmmmm

Last edited:
You can go to Settings -->General--> Asssesibility--> Assistive Touch. This puts a little transparent screen on your screen and it has a home button. I have been using it for months.

I won't jailbreak.
I bricked an android phone lol That was jut updating the software now I'm too scared.
I successfully fixed it thanks to online step by step instructions :)
After that.... (it was my husbands phone) I won't jailbreak or play anymore till I have an extra phone in hand just in case:( lol
I like
How iOS runs just as is.

I won't jailbreak.
I bricked an android phone lol That was jut updating the software now I'm too scared.
I successfully fixed it thanks to online step by step instructions :)
After that.... (it was my husbands phone) I won't jailbreak or play anymore till I have an extra phone in hand just in case:( lol
I like
How iOS runs just as is.

There is no way to brick an iPhone during jailbreaking unless you unplug it before its done. All you do is download absinthe on your computer, plug in your phone, open absinthe and click the button that says "jailbreak". Then it tells you its done and thats it. It literally takes 2 minutes lol. Don't be scared! It's easy! And fun