What's new

HOME KEY wont work (iOS5.1.1)

Ahson

Reaction score
Hi guys,
hope ya all are fine... well i'm not ever since i upgraded my iPhone4(16GB, factory unlocked) to iOS5.1.1, as my home key wont respond properly!
1st i thought it was a hardware fault but not i've never used my phone harshly plus i've noticed it worked just fine on lock screen... so this can't be hardware fault!
anyways i searched through internet, and did following.
1. Hard reset my phone
2. Restore
3. Cleared dock connector socket
4. Recalibrated home button by doing this trick

www.iphonehacks.com/2011/12/how-to-fix-you-iphones-unresponsive-home-button.html

none of this helped... its still malfunctioning in home screen n apps....!!
any kind of help would be appreciated.

NOTE: though my phone still has almost 2 months warranty left but i can't avail that as i bought it from UK n right now im stationed in a **** country with no APPLE store what so ever, so can't replace or get it repaired!

REGARDS.....

Have you restored as a new device? For a temp fix, you can activate assistive touch. But it's obviously a software fault not hardware.

Sent from my cellular device

Google on how to recalibrate home button

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Could one of your colleague's return it for you to your family for them to take it to a store?

The warranty is for faults that happen within your warranty, not for when the repair is actually done.

I would contact Apple, register the fault (which has happened within the warranty period), explain your situation about your posting, and try to get a warranty extension.

Hope it works out

Chris951 said:
Have you restored as a new device? For a temp fix, you can activate assistive touch. But it's obviously a software fault not hardware.

yeah... "As A New Device"
yeah using that gay assertive touch thing...!! :/

jamesperez said:
Since you have tried all possible things it leads me to thing that it is a hardware related issue. If factory restore (restored as a new device) didn't work then there is something wrong with the button itself.

if it is HARDWARE fault, then why does it work perfect on lock screen n even when connected to itunes...

it's not clear if you have Cydia? You can add : Activator and assign a gesture or another button to emulate your home button

ive had this problem in the past and there used to be an SBsettings add-on for broken home buttons (it saved my ass for a while) -- I don't think this mod made it to iOS 5

so activator is best bet

toadc69 said:
it's not clear if you have Cydia? You can add : Activator and assign a gesture or another button to emulate your home button

ive had this problem in the past and there used to be an SBsettings add-on for broken home buttons (it saved my ass for a while) -- I don't think this mod made it to iOS 5

so activator is best bet

thanks but , to me jailbreak feels more like a virus or some bug that'll kill my phone! :/
or atleast it unlocks the window for virus etc.

Chris951 said:
That is not correct at all.

Jailbreaking youre iPhon will do no harm to it. It only allows you to customize and use your iPhone to its full potential. If you don't like it just back up your iPhone and restore back to factory settings and it will be back to normal. It is only software and no hardware will be affected.

Just for me, go to assistive touch settings and make sure it is turned fully off.

I'm with you as one that won't jail break, to me it means trusting uncontrolled outside of Apple sources not to release buggy/virus or malware apps. While you do get duds from iTunes, Apple do test fir any nasties.

Before anyone rings their hands, screams foul, or 'they have done it many times' just look at the sheer numbers how many threads get made in here about 'problems after i jail broke......', usually on previously working perfectly handsets.

BUT!
in your case, with no access to Apple Stores, and having tried to restore your phone back to 'out if the box' it might be an option i'd consider in your shoes, but read up on it carefully or you can 'brick' it.