What's new

Home Button Problems

ipd1961

Reaction score
Hi all. Just wondered if any of you wonderful people can help. I have had my iPhone 4 for about a month now and am having problems coming out of Apps. When I am finished doing anything I press the Home button but no matter how many times I press it it doesn't return to the home screen. I always wait a reasonable time between app finishing and pressing home button and also in-between presses. Another thing is it doesn't take me back to the first screen if I am on page 4 of my apps screens. The only way it works is if I do either a hard or soft reset.

Hi ipd1961,

We can try many many thinks but having a phone that is only a month old I will just take it back to the apple store.

Try this:

1.) Open any application

2.) Press and hold the power button until the slide to shutdown swipe bar appears.

3.) Release Power button

4.) Press and hold Home button Lightly
until screen returns to icon screen

5.) Enjoy your functioning home button!!!

This procedure recalibrates the home button after normal wear or heavy use.

I found this somewhere on the net, can't remember where but it worked for me.

Last edited:
iris4 said:
Try this:

1.) Open any application

2.) Press and hold the power button until the slide to shutdown swipe bar appears.

3.) Release Power button

+1...learned this in the apple store.

Wow! thank you....i posted a thread awhile back about my shotty home button but this fixed it.

Hi all. Just wondered if any of you people can help. I have had my iPhone 4 for about a month now and am having problems coming out of Apps. When I am finished doing anything I press the Home button but no matter how many times I press it it doesn't return to the home screen.
Don't press home button too often, or it will stop working soon.

Last edited:
Try this:

1.) Open any application

3.) Release Power button

Or you can also do this by pluging into itunes and from your home screen press and hold the home button and the voice comand screen will come up then release the home button tap cancel on the voice comand screen and thats it this should reactivate your home button.