What's new

Home button does not vibrate

Michael Graubart

Reaction score
I have recently upgraded to iPhone 7. I have set Haptics to ‘on’, and I have tried all three settings for Home Button, but in none of them can I feel any ‘haptic’ response when I press the button. Everything else seems to be working well, so this may seem to be unimportant, but since Apple makes a particular point of it, I should be grateful for suggestions.

Perhaps it is because you are pressing the Home Button (which is unnecessary, so that you don’t actual feel the Taptic feedback. Try putting your finger/thumb lightly on the button.

Thank you, carolineM, for your quick reply. I have tried resting my finger lightly on the Home Button as you suggest. I still feel no feedback — and, moreover, whatever action I intended to take by means of the Home Button (e.g. closing an app's window in order to return to the home screen) does not happen until I press quite hard.

PS: The same is true in the Settings page that allows one to choose one of the three Home Button options.

Are you near an Apple shop? It may be worth taking the phone in for them to have a look.

A light press won't do anything. I too have an iPhone 7 and a "deep" press or 3D press is required to initiate anything on the home button, as it should be, or I'd be accidentally activating it every time I touched it. Do you get any haptic feedback at all.

Thank you, everyone, for helpful replies. I should have responded much earlier - to say that the apparent malfunction lay in my unanalyzed expectations, not my poor, maligned phone. I think I expected my finger pressing the home button to feel a response and therefore ignored the throbbing of the body of the phone, or put the latter down to my unsteady grip. The phone is behaving as it should.

You know, I was going to ask that. Glad you worked it out and all is as it should be. I'm very happy with my 7 and had I new battery installed last month. Can't see myself upgrading any time soon. Happy New Year.