What's new

Hi, Win mo user crossing over to Apple, what do I need on my IP4?

Alex JB

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm finally giving up on Windows Mobile and Windows Phone 7 is not going in the right direction for me so I'm making the jump to Apple.

I ordered 2 x IP4 for myself and my wife and ported our numbers from Sprint to AT&T.

I have a couple of questions that maybe you have heard before but can answer...

How heavy on data usage is pandora (or I-similar) on IP4?
How bad is data usage on video calling (jailbroken 3G calls)?
Can you tell I'm used to an unlimited plan!

Then, what apps are a must?
Bear in mind I've had a smart phone for 10 years and I've never paid for a win mo app, so mostly free would be good :)
I guess I will pay for some, but they will have to be stellar!

Thanks and I appreciate the input, the forum is a great read so far.

I'm pretty sure you haven't had a smartphone for 10 years because at the earliest the 1st smartphone came out 2-3 years ago.(If that)

Hi folks,

I'm finally giving up on Windows Mobile and Windows Phone 7 is not going in the right direction for me so I'm making the jump to Apple.

I ordered 2 x IP4 for myself and my wife and ported our numbers from Sprint to AT&T.

I have a couple of questions that maybe you have heard before but can answer...

How heavy on data usage is pandora (or I-similar) on IP4?
How bad is data usage on video calling (jailbroken 3G calls)?
Can you tell I'm used to an unlimited plan!

Then, what apps are a must?
Bear in mind I've had a smart phone for 10 years and I've never paid for a win mo app, so mostly free would be good :)
I guess I will pay for some, but they will have to be stellar!

Thanks and I appreciate the input, the forum is a great read so far.

Welcome,

I believe pandora is radio streaming? If so, when your streaming at 128kb/s then your going to use around 60mb per hour. The best radio app I've came across is tune in radio but it's not free. There are plenty of free ones out there though.

Must have apps are all delpendant on what you are going to use your phone for?

I'm pretty sure you haven't had a smartphone for 10 years because at the earliest the 1st smartphone came out 2-3 years ago.(If that)

You might want to read up on smartphones. They've been around since the early 90's. The first phone labled as a smartphone by the manufacturer was in 1997...

Thanks, I will look for streaming radio apps.

I will use the phone for web surfing, forums, gps nav (not decided which one, use tomtom on win mo) facebook and calling from US to UK on skype.

Hoping there is no truth to the rumor I heard that skype data calls also cost on the I phone unlike win mo and android.?
Anyone know?

Also, last poster is correct, check out the Xplore G18, first smart phone I had circa 99/00 and the I-mate Jam, first win mo phone I had circa 2001/02

Well web surfing you can use the stock web app, there are alternatives but I've never tried any of them as I'm perfectly happy with safari. Most large forums have there own specific app or there is tap talk. We have our own forum app for our sister site iPadforums.net and I believe tap talk works on here. There's lots off sat nav apps some are quite expensive. I couldn't justify paying £40+ for a single app. Facebook and skype also have their own apps.

I belive skype to skype calls are free but there is the usual charges for other calls.

Oh, and you can call me Gaz... ;)