What's new

Hi, Need some advice on how to get my i-phone activated..

zenonithus

Reaction score
My bro gave me his 3gs. It was in pieces which was why he gave it to me, though I managed to fix it and get it working :D

I tried to jailbreak it at first but it was unsuccessful and crashed the phone, so I had to upgrade to the 5.1 firmware just to get it running again.

My problem now is that I need to activate the phone. I go through the settings process (country, language, wifi etc.), then when it comes to activating it tells me it cant connect to the network. So I put my pay as you go 3 sim card and plug into itunes to activate, it says my sim card isn't compatible?!

Also I asked my bro to ring up vodaphone and ask them to release the phone but he said he lost his account details and is just too lazy and hopeless to chase it further.

So my question is where do I go from here? I want to use this dam phone asap! Though havent a clue what steps to take. There are plenty of jailbreaking tutorials out there I know, but they all seem to at least have the phone activated and running (can see all the apps etc.) I need to actually get the phone to that stage :| also is there now a good jailbreak solution available for the 5.1 firmware?

Thanks

Last edited:
Now since you are on iOS 5.1, you yourself eliminated the option of activating via SAM which required jailbreak. (BUT iOS 5.1 does not support jailbreak [untethered]). The only option is visit any local iPhone repair or mobile repair shop. They have with them the country and carrier SIM cards. They'll charge you around $5 and activate your phone within 10-20 seconds max. :D

Ah so there is no untethered jailbreak then for 5.1? :( Will it come soon?

So if my bro did get through to vodaphone can they activate it for me? so when I plug it into itunes with my PAYG sim it should be ok?

Not sure of any phone repair shops in the area. Do they have special sims for activating?

in in the same situation right now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me know if you find a solution betfair39

I might try and ring vodaphone myself, get them to unlock then maybe try taking it to i-phone store, see what they can do :\

Its a locked device I think since its stuck on activation. Only original carrier SIM to which it has been locked can activate it at the moment. You can then unlock it using software exploits after 5.1 receives an untethered jailbreak.