What's new

Hi, I'm Russ, the new guy.

rustypeevee

Reaction score
After many years of awful phones, I now have an iPhone 5S and couldn't be happier. Well, that's not exactly true. I an overwhelmed by the sheer volume of technology in my iPhone. My specific issue is as follows, but I need to establish some background first:
I am NOT tech-savvy. Once you begin talking operating systems, etc., my eyes glaze over, and I ask someone else.
Here's my thing: Over the years, I established a fairly extensive music library in iTunes, using an old Dell laptop for downloading, then syncing to my 80GB iPod.
When I first got my iPhone, I went to the Apple store and the guy there said that the only way to get my iTunes library onto my iPhone was to hook it up to the machine I originally put my library onto, and sync them. Well--the Dell laptop doesn't exist anymore. Apple assures me that once I buy music, it is available to all my devices, but...........?
I thought maybe if I registered for iCloud. Well, I did that, and still see 'no content' when I open the music app.
It seems that Apple wants me to subscribe to iTunes Match, but feel I've already paid enough money............ Any help will be appreciated.

Hi, welcome to the forum!…….
Forum Rules Please read and respect our rules.
Remember…."search" is your friend…..Poisonivy….Administrator.

Welcome to iPhone Forums Russ!

All your previous iTunes purchases are available in the iTunes purchased list. When viewing the purchased list, tap the cloud symbol next to anything you want to download to your iPhone. This will work for the purchased lists for music, movies, TV shows, and iBooks. If you purchased or downloaded free apps on a previous iOS device, the App Store purchased list will allow you to download any of them to your iPhone in the same way as with your previously purchased iTunes content.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, Russ!

iCloud doesn't sync music.

If the Dell isn't available any more, you'll have to try (computer) software to extract the files from your iPod, save them to the computer and sync them to your iPhone. Software for the feature you need does exist. I don't know whether or not they are free, and if or how they work.

If you use iTunes Match, you have to pay a certain amount once a year (I don't know exactly how much), and all the music (also the songs you didn't purchase in iTunes) on your iPod will be available on both devices without downloading or syncing it.

Btw:
The other thread you started (same topic) has been deleted. It would have fragmented the discussion. It's also against our rules to post the same topic more than once. Please keep any discussion of your question to this thread!

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply.
Wow, I feel kinda burned. The guy at the Apple store said that my 80GB iPod is too old to do anything with, I don't have an Apple-based computer, (my ChromeBook isn't compatible with iTunes) so saving the files to my computer isn't an option. So I think my options are 1) buy an apple computer, or 2) subscribe to iTunes match so that the music I've already paid for is available to me on my iPhone I've already paid hundreds of dollars for? Have I got it right?

Welcome to iPhone Forums Russ!

All your previous iTunes purchases are available in the iTunes purchased list. When viewing the purchased list, tap the cloud symbol next to anything you want to download to your iPhone. This will work for the purchased lists for music, movies, TV shows, and iBooks. If you purchased or downloaded free apps on a previous iOS device, the App Store purchased list will allow you to download any of them to your iPhone in the same way as with your previously purchased iTunes content.
How do I get to my iTunes purchased list on my iPhone?

Click on your iTunes icon, Click on More (bottom of the screen) and then click Purchased.

How do I get to my iTunes purchased list on my iPhone?

When you purchased music from iTunes you were required to set up an Apple ID. The Apple ID is typically an email address and a password, so when you set up your iPhone did you use the same Apple ID that you used when purchasing the music?

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

I've sort of been through this Russ and I followed the steps that scifan57 laid out.
  1. Tap the iTunes store icon
  2. Tap More (located at the bottom of the screen- look for the 3 dots)
  3. Tap "Purchased"
  4. Select from the options listed (I'm guessing you'll want music)
  5. Tap "Not on this phone"
You should now be able to see all the songs you've previously purchased. Hope this helps!