What's new

HI, getting a iPhone for the first time & have some Q's ?

SubzeroA

Reaction score
I signed a two year contract with Verizon like 15 months ago and got a android phone it's was actually my first smart phone ever and it was a LG2. Anyway it broke and I feel like getting a iPhone but here's the thing though whatever phone I choose I'll have to pay the full price out of pocket which is fine. I'm sure I want a iPhone it's just I'm not 100% I want to stay with Verizon. Was wondering if I buy a iPhone with Verizon and use it with them till my contract is up, can I then cancel my service completely with Verizon then take my iPhone and go to another carrier and have them give me service for iPhone I bought at Verizon ? I live in the USA by the way if your wondering.

Verizon is selling iPhone 5c for 449$. I would get iPhone 6 or even the 5S but it cost way to much. Plus I've read reviews for 5c and it's a good phone. It don't bother me if it's not the latest or greatest anyway. I thought about getting used certified phone but the reviews for these phones people say the battery is kinda wonky at times and can go from 100% to 70% in 5 minutes.

Also Amazon sells iPhones that are cheaper then what Verizon sells them, but some of them say sprint and some just say (unlocked) does that mean I can buy it from Amazon and bring to any carrier like Verizon and they can activate it ? is that why they are called unlocked ? Is that what I should do is buy the phone from Amazon, is there any cons in doing it this way ? Could Verizon possible charge me a big one time fee for not buying the phone from them ?

Thanks and hoping someone can answer all my questions.

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

If you get a Verizon iPhone the CDMA service will be locked to Verizon. To use it with another carrier you'll have to get it unlocked. Before getting the phone, ask about Verizon's current unlocking policy. The GSM service is unlocked and you can use it with the GSM Cartier of your choice.

Verizon has a program wherein you can buy a new iPhone and spread the cost of the device over 24 months - this is how I've purchased my last two iPhones at Verizon in Washington state. You might want to check into this program. There is a small down payment, I think it's $50.00, but it takes much of the sting out of buying the device. The downside is that it will increase your monthly bill by the cost of the monthly payment of the device.

The 5c is a nice phone. I've been with Apple for almost three years now, and own numerous Apple products, and I can tell you that Apple doesn't make junk.

As long as you are paying the full price maybe you should buy an unlocked phone from Apple and activate it on Verizon. Then, when your contract is up you have no issues about walking away.
I would think twice about the 5c. Yes it is a good phone but it basically is a plastic 5. That is a 2 1/2 yr old model. The 5s is a year newer and will give you touch activation as it has a fingerprint sensor. That is not just access to Apple Pay but a lot of other things that are coming out this year and next and you will not be able to use those things.

Last edited:
As long as you are paying the full price maybe you should buy an unlocked phone from Apple and activate it on Verizon. Then, when your contract is up you have no issues about walking away.
I would think twice about the 5c. Yes it is a good phone but it basically is a plastic 5. That is a 2 1/2 yr old model. The 5s is a year newer and will give you touch activation as it has a fingerprint sensor. That is not just access to Apple Pay but a lot of other things that are coming out this year and next and you will not be able to use those things.
You make a very good point about the fingerprint sensor, that feature was the main selling point that attracted me to the 5s.

I'm afraid that only the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are able to use Apple Pay on their own. There is a workaround, however, for owners of the iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s. If those phones are paired with the Apple Watch you can use Apple Pay through the Apple Watch. The reason that the older iPhones can't use Apple Pay on their own is that they lack the necessary NFC radios used by Apple Pay and other contact less payment systems.

Last edited:
I don't care about Apple pay I wouldn't use it anyway. Even if the Apple 5c is plastic from what I read in reviews it's a solid as any other plastic phone like the galaxy or any other popular phones so I don't see the difference, most phones are made of plastic so why would it not be ok if Apple made a phone that was made out of plastic.

By the way I have to install itunes on my computer if I want to play the mp3's that are on my computer on my iPhone, iTunes allows me to transfer mp3's from the computer to the iPhone I assume.

By the way can I talk to the phone say like if I say something like Chinese restaurants in the area or where is the closest Sears store can I do that like I did that with my old Android phone and also talk a text message instead of typing it ?

Last edited:
Siri is awesome, I've used this feature to ask for things like "how many ounces in a gallon?" and "where is the nearest Subway restaurant?". My friends and I were out driving around looking for garage sales and we ended up getting a bit lost. I opened my iPhone and asked Siri "show me how to get home", and she gave me a map with the shortest route. Siri is one of the most useful features ever added to a mobile phone.

I never think to ask Siri things like that.

I never think to ask Siri things like that.

I don't care about Apple pay I wouldn't use it anyway. Even if the Apple 5c is plastic from what I read in reviews it's a solid as any other plastic phone like the galaxy or any other popular phones so I don't see the difference, most phones are made of plastic so why would it not be ok if Apple made a phone that was made out of plastic.

By the way I have to install itunes on my computer if I want to play the mp3's that are on my computer on my iPhone, iTunes allows me to transfer mp3's from the computer to the iPhone I assume.

By the way can I talk to the phone say like if I say something like Chinese restaurants in the area or where is the closest Sears store can I do that like I did that with my old Android phone and also talk a text message instead of typing it ?
You missed my point. It is not that the 5c is plastic it is that basically it is the Iphone 5. Avoid phone yes, but already 21/2yrs old. Which in techno years is a long time. The 5s is a year newer.

You missed my point. It is not that the 5c is plastic it is that basically it is the Iphone 5. Avoid phone yes, but already 21/2yrs old. Which in techno years is a long time. The 5s is a year newer.

There are a few minor improvements on the 5c as compared to the 5, slightly larger battery and an improved LTE radio. Here's a side-by-side comparison of the two phones specs:

Apple iPhone 5c vs Apple iPhone 5 - Phone specs comparison

Also the plastic that's used is a high quality plastic, the same kind used to make motorcycle fairing windshields. For an entry level iPhone user it's a great device as long as they don't mind not having all the latest bells and whistles of the newer devices.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Verizon 5, 4c and 5s are Factory Unlocked. The advantage to this is, they are also a world phone. So,, they will work on Verizon, ATT, Cricket, Straight Talk and MANY other prepaid carriers. The same is not the case for ATT phones. Even if you get an ATT unlocked, it is only a GSM phone. Though that covers most of the carriers out there, it is not as many as the factory Verizon phones as it has both CDMA and GSM built in..