What's new

Help regarding iPhone 3G.

MattCTFC

Reaction score
Good evening all,

I have recently purchased an iPhone 3G off eBay, the seller has said I can't update it or the Phone will become 'SIM Locked'. It came Jailbroken and I have deleted Cydia from the phone as I'm not interested in that. What I would like to know is could I unlock the phone if it becomes Sim locked as the phone is quite sluggish at the moment & i'm thinking higher version of software would fix this?

I'm in exactly the same situation! I've done quite a bit of reading and now know one or two things. IOS 4.2 is as far as the 3G can go. Unlocking is a nasty business - it killed the GPS in my phone and there is no way to bring it back. This is due to using the baseband update to version 6.15 method of unlocking. You can check your baseband version in settings about, where it has a different name, something to do with cellular radio control. I don't know how you got rid of Cydia; I can't. I find it very hard to follow the poor information about using a jail broken unlocked phone and there are reports of these phones getting "bricked" when you do try to modify them.

My phone is adequately fast with iOS 4.2. I dont think the iOS version would affect speed. Older versions are missing some features, though. I learned that I can use Find My IPhone only because I have an iPad with ios5.

Have just tried the standard 'restore' on iTunes, will keep you updated.