What's new

iPhone 3G Won't Turn On?

BigBoi64

Reaction score
Hi, I have an iPhone 3G 8GB phone that has a black screen/ won't turn on.

I bought it used for a cheap price, having been told that the lock button needed replacing. I think it might be something else.

-I expected to see some sort of life when plugged in, I didn't.

-It is recognized as "iPhone" in iTunes and "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver" under "unspecified" in Devices and Printers.

-In iTunes, if I click it, it says; "There is no SIM card in the phone you are trying to activate".

-Not sure if there is sound or not, because I have no SIM in it and therefore I'm not receiving calls or texts. No sound when plugged in though.

-It looks fine externally, lock button seems to click.

-I was able the upgrade the firmware used.

-I restored it through iTunes (unless the message above was part of the process and therefore stopping it.)

SO, it's most likely one of these problems:

It's turned completely off, and can't turn on due to lock button not working

Screen is not working, and it's actually on or in sleep mode

SIM card is needed, even just to function as an iPod

Thanks in advance.

If you guys don't know what the problem is, do you know any stores where I can get a free/cheap diagnostic?

The lock buttone "is" the power button. If it is non-functionaly you will not be able to power on the iPhone. Have it checked out at a local shop the fixes iPhones.

joel406 said:
The lock buttone "is" the power button. If it is non-functionaly you will not be able to power on the iPhone. Have it checked out at a local shop the fixes iPhones.

But it seems to click, and shouldn't I see a charging symbol when plugged in to my comp?

Can iTunes sync a phone that's completely off, because it synced mine.

If your screen isn't displaying anything but it's still doing everything in the background then you need a new screen. When the phones at the activation screen I don't know if it makes noises or not. You will have to test with a different screen in order to figure it out. You got a. 3G though pick up a whole new phone on Craigslist for 50 that's working... It'll cost you 30 for a new screen lol