What's new

iPhone 3g Help needed.

robbstech

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been given an iPhone 3g from a friend as it isn't working.... the phone does not respond in any way until it is plugged into my PC. All I get when I press the power button is the apple logo for a minute or so then it goes off. I have tried restoring and updating it in DFU mode using itunes but I get error 1601 and I can't get past this...

I also know the phone was jailbroken but I am not bothered about it being jailbroken, I just want to be able to use it as it is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rob :)

Quoted from apple.

[h=3]Error 1600, 1601, 1602[/h]Follow the steps listed above for Error 1604. This error may also be resolved by disabling, deactivating, or uninstalling third-party security, antivirus, and firewall software. See steps in this article for details on troubleshooting security software.

Apple of course isn't much help so I would suggest trying to restore though recovery mode.

hold the home button while you plug it into your computer and the connect to itunes logo should come up if you do it properly.

Thanks for your replies guys.

I can get it into DFU mode no problem and I have tried putting it in restore mode but no matter how long I hold the home button in, I don't get the itunes icon on screen.

Also apple just don't help at all!

Anything else I could try?

try "fix recovery" in redsn0w or "fix recovery" in Tiny Umbrella.

both require you to enter DFU mode.

try "fix recovery" in redsn0w or "fix recovery" in Tiny Umbrella.

both require you to enter DFU mode.

I tried this in redsn0w but i get a USB communication error.....

Would a damaged screen stop it from updating? Because I have noticed that if I lift the screen assembly out and wiggle the screen ribbon, the screen goes all different colours and if i wiggle more i get a charging icon and an apple logo etc....

The phone only responds when plugged in, I know the battery is fine as I have had a friend check it for me and it is fully charged!

Cheers for all your help so far, I just want to get this phone working or it is going in the rubbish bin!

try getting your shsh blobs and creating a custom ipsw then dfu restore to it through itunes.

Tiny Umbrella can fetch shsh blobs