What's new

Help! My iPhone 5 is built different inside

AlanAnderson

Reaction score
i just tried replacing my battery after watching a few videos on how easy it is to do. Ordered the battery and tool kit, opened iphone ok but it looks completely different inside from the videos. i put it back together for now and it is functioning. But wth? the model is A1429.

ive u\l a photo with the front cover open.
let me know what is going on here. Did verizon sell me a knockoff?

Attachments

• _20150808_165859.JPG
    _20150808_165859.JPG
    718.6 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_20150808_154232.jpg
    IMG_20150808_154232.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 571
Last edited:
Without the photo it's impossible to tell for sure.
It's unlikely that Verizon would sell a counterfeit iPhone to you. Does the phone work normally with iTunes? Does the App Store work normally? Most counterfeit iPhones are running Android made to have the appearance of iOS.

Last edited:
Without the photo it's impossible to tell for sure.
It's unlikely that Verizon would sell a counterfeit iPhone to you. Does the phone work normally with iTunes? Does the App Store work normally? Most counterfeit iPhones are running Android made to have the appearance of iOS.
I had to go to my laptop to post the pictures. Apparently this forum does not support android tablets too well.

The phone works just like any other iPhone I've used and works with Itunes, Apple app store and all. But as you can see from the photos it is very different inside.

I had to go to my laptop to post the pictures. Apparently this forum does not support android tablets too well.

The phone works just like any other iPhone I've used and works with Itunes, Apple app store and all. But as you can see from the photos it is very different inside.
Your photos are not showing up when I'm using my iPhone.

The ones that you added to your first post, or are there images in one of your other posts?

The ones that you added to your first post, or are there images in one of your other posts?
I edited my first post and uploaded 2 photos. I see them both with my Android tablet and my iPhone. You can't see them?

It looks like the metal shield assembly and the bit below it that contains the home button assembly that are supposed to be fastened to the back of the screen have become separated from it and are resting on top of the internal components in the back case. There are supposed to be screws fastening the shield assembly and home button assembly to the back of the screen.

Here's a photo of how it's supposed to look like along with your second photo.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here's what the screen looks like without the shield assembly and home button assembly attached.
image.jpeg

I believe this is what your screen looks like when you lift it from the rear case.

Last edited:
It looks like the metal shield assembly and the bit below it that contains the home button assembly that are supposed to be fastened to the back of the screen have become separated from it and are resting on top of the internal components in the back case. There are supposed to be screws fastening the shield assembly and home button assembly to the back of the screen.

Here's a photo of how it's supposed to look like along with your second photo.
View attachment 21622 View attachment 21623

Here's what the screen looks like without the shield assembly and home button assembly attached.
View attachment 21624
I believe this is what your screen looks like when you lift it from the rear case.
You are correct. I had to pry up that cover, with more force than I was comfortable with but it did finally come up and I replaced the battery. Now I am having difficulty getting is snapped back into place. I have it somewhat together and working but the face cover is not fully in place. I will reopen it later and see if I need to forceably push that cover panel into place.
Definitely not as easy as the videos portrait it.