What's new

help me ?

tom28lnd

Reaction score
I have a IPhone 3gs.
I got it unlocked to all networks etc when I brought it.
Anyway, I was going to sell it and wanted to remove everything etc so I selected for system restore or whatever it's exact name is.

But now... I just get a black screen with Apple logo. I looked it up and people said press ho.e button and power button
And it will come up saying connect to iTunes.. which it does.
However the computer I use isn't the one I orginally had, and when I load it up it doesn't have any backups saved.

When I tell it to update software it says 'I don't have the permissions'

How do I get my phone working again! Advice very much welcome

This is assuming the computer used is a Windows computer running Windows Vista or later. Either run iTunes as an administrator, or, create a new user with full administrative access, and redo the process. Because iTunes backups are stored in C:\Users, which is a protected portion of the file system/OS, you need administrative access to access it through an application other than My Computer such as that of iTunes and restoring a backup made earlier.

This is assuming the computer used is a Windows computer running Windows Vista or later. Either run iTunes as an administrator, or, create a new user with full administrative access, and redo the process. Because iTunes backups are stored in C:\Users, which is a protected portion of the file system/OS, you need administrative access to access it through an application other than My Computer such as that of iTunes and restoring a backup made earlier.

But it shows that I don't have any backups of my iPhone on the computer.
So if I don't have a backup..
How can I just get a fresh install of the software so it will load

But it shows that I don't have any backups of my iPhone on the computer.
So if I don't have a backup..
How can I just get a fresh install of the software so it will load

Misread the part where you couldn't use the original computer of the backup.

Place the device into Recovery/DFU mode, and click the Restore button in iTunes, and the latest iOS (6.1.3 for the 3GS) will be downloaded and installed. There's no dependency on having a backup as a pre-requisite for a restore. Once you've restored the device, set it up as a new device. When you have access to the original computer with the backup, you can restore that backup (if you want). Note that any changes made to your device between the time you restore your device to the point where you restore your backup will be erased.