What's new

Help i seemed to have bricked my iPhone 3GS like a silly boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupKitchen

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was hoping someone could lend me some assistance as i have exhausted internet/ you tube how to's, with no joy....

I have owned a iPhone 3GS for some time now and have had the phone jailbroken for the most part.

Up until the week just gone i had 4.3.3 and used jailbreakme.com to jailbreak the iPhone back when ever it was released.

i have been happily using the iphone and the Cydia, ***REMOVED FOR PIRACY*** for ages with absolutely no issues what so ever.

Then IOS 5.01 came into my life.

I figured that i should update and get the phone jailbroken once again. A friend of mine told me the route to take and off i went.

I backed up my iphone as you do when doing firmware changes.

I then used the Apple upgrade path, using itunes to get my iPhone to IOS 5.01.

Then i downloaded a programme called RedSn0w, redsn0w_win_0.9.10b3 to be precise.

I followed the instructions with this programme and after a short time i succeeded to jail brake my new IOS 5.01. Chuffed to pieces!

Then i had an option to install Cydia, which in the past has automatically been installed as part of the hack but logic dictated to install. I then added the repository for ***REMOVED FOR PIRACY​***. All good! i was essentially back to where i was with 4.3.3 but now with a new IOS with new features! awesome.

So, i get the point.

I have been dealing with a slightly cracked digitizer since just before xmas. i got a replacement some weeks ago but just haven't made the time to fit it. The cracks are bearable and with xmas and new year i didnt want to risk killing my iPhone over such an important time where i would need to contact folks and friends.

So last night in my wisdom i thought, now i have the new IOS 5.01 lets get the screen fixed!

I followed a you tube guide with no problems. Fitted the iPhone back together and started her up.

Up came the apple logo and i thought, YES! i did it!!!!!

but then the apple logo stayed.

and stayed...

and stayed....

oh. something is wrong. What have i missed? i thought.

Well after reading up about iPhone stuck on apple logo, i coincidently read lots of posts on the web about redsn0W jailbreaks having issues when restarting... essentially i got the impression you have a untethered boot or something, and the posts implied that if you restart your iPhone you have to do something with Redsn0w each time you restart...
At this point i thought crap!!! why did i use redsn0w without knowing this.

Anyway i launched redsnow and noticed that in addition to the jailbreak manu there is extras. I clicked that and saw this just boot tethered option. All is not lost i thought!

i ran through the instructions and the iphone was looking like it was doing what it should, turning off, rebooting, logos etc.

But at the end of the process, i was still where i started. apple logo for ages, and i mean ages and then a spinning wheel for ever, nothing more after the spinnig wheel. i belive this is called the Wheel of death.

anyway i though sod this put the iPhone in recovery mode and install the apple official update and maybe look at hacking again another day, after all i need my iPhone back working.

I managed to get the iPhone into restore mode with no problems, the plug into itunes logo is on the screen, then itunes says it detects the restore mode and performs a restore.

Again no issues all goes through ok. the updated downloads the update installs , i get the progress bar on the iPhone the lot. all looks promising.

But....

When it finishes it restarts the iphone to complete.

and guess what!? the iphone sits on the apple logo for ages and then i get the wheel of death.

The odd thing is while the apple logo sits there for minutes, the autoplay feature pops up in windows 7, and in itunes i can see the device plugged in, i can see all the details of the phone if i click on it in itunes. the serial, the updates are ok and up to date, it literally looks fine from itunes point of view in the Summary tab, but no other tabs have anything as the sync hasnt completed yet. No doubt due to the fact it hasnt actually loaded the IOS. if i click the apps tab the right hand side where you see your iPhone says Loading Device.

But i have a spinning wheel of death no matter what!

I am lost as to what to do. everything i have read says you can try to restore back to an earlier firmware using Tiny umbrella but only if you have your shsh files backed up!

Well funny enough my mate told me a while back to make sure that Cydia has backed up my shsh files. he said so long as it says it has on the message along the top of the cydia home page you will be ok....

Well, thats all well and good but on earth do i get those files when my iphone doesnt boot?

Can anyone help?

|Soup Kitchen|

Last edited by a moderator:
We do not support piracy here. Do a fresh restore and rejailbreak and do not add or install any piracy related applications and your phone will work fine.

Hi thanks for the reply.

Im not asking for support on piracy.

i done a standard restore using apple itunes and it doesnt work afterwards. i didnt get to add anything as the spinning wheel of death is there.

Excuse my ignorance, which part is the piracy part? I saw a forum for jail breaking and figured you guys may be able to help.

Soup Kitchen

SoupKitchen said:
Hi thanks for the reply.

Im not asking for support on piracy.

i done a standard restore using apple itunes and it doesnt work afterwards. i didnt get to add anything as the spinning wheel of death is there.

Excuse my ignorance, which part is the piracy part? I saw a forum for jail breaking and figured you guys may be able to help.

Soup Kitchen

Hi.

First of all before you used redsn0w you should have read the guide carefully. The 0.9.10b3 redsn0w is UNTETHERED JAILBREAK (which means that you DONT need to start redsn0w and boot tethered, hence why its called UNtethered).

Other than that, you most likely either added something (some tweak) that was incompatible, or you did something wrong (when you tried to fix it).

You need to restore/SETUP AS NEW through itunes first and tell us if the phone works or not

He means you cant discuss certain sources and such that have to do with piracy.

I will help you with the jailbreak or restore but you need to not mention stuff about sources that contain illegal material

Thread closed due to OP using pirated apps.

This forum does not condone the use of piracy or apps that allow piracy. Not only is it against our rules - it's illegal! Don't be a pirate.

You'll receive no [more] help here.

Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.