What's new

iPhone won't boot, need passcode to back up!

GREENH3ART

Reaction score
iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1 Untethered Jailbreak (Absinthe)

My iPhone had been running perfectly fine, with mobilesubstrate and a bunch of tweaks running. Then (at least, I think this is when it started) I installed a package called "fake iOS 4.2" just because I wanted to see what it did. I installed it, and it didn't require a respring. So I tapped Return to Cydia, and went out to look at what it did. It didn't do anything except change the value in Settings > General > About > Version to 4.0.2. I then thought maybe it did something else, and it DID require a respring. I restarted my springboard. As it restarted, it showed the spinning wheel as usual, but instead of freezing and showing my lockscreen, it turned into the apple logo with a loading bar under it, like you get on a restore. The bar filled, it went back to a spinning wheel, then back to a loading bar, and my springboard crashed. In safe mode, I went into Cydia and uninstalled the tweak. I restarted my springboard again. It happened again. Spinning, apple logo, spinning, apple logo, crash. I went through this a few more times, uninstalling various tweaks, wondering if they were the source of the problem or if a conflict had caused the problem.

It culminated with me uninstalling mobilesubstrate. This, I now know, was the worst possible thing I could have done. It uninstalled all of my tweaks and mobilesubstrate… Including safe mode.

It said "reboot device." I tapped it, and it turned off. Then it turned on. But it didn't. It showed the apple logo for a while like it was booting, then it showed an apple logo with a loading bar, and then went to a spinning wheel. The spinning wheel doesn't stop. I left it on overnight, and in the morning it was still spinning.

Here's where we get to the real problem. I want to restore it. I have access to it via iTunes AND iExplorer. If you know of anything to remove via iExplorer that would help the problem, i'm listening. I can't restore via iTunes because I don't have enough bandwidth to download the 5.1.1 file (this is a used iPhone, I got it while 5.1.1 was already installed). I may be going to a hotel later today, in which case I will download the file.

I want to sync my iPhone and back it up. I would be able to do that, except that there's a passcode on my iPhone and I obviously can't put it in (spinning wheel, no lockscreen). I need to back it up because I haven't backed it up recently and I really need some of the recent stuff on there.

Here's what i'm asking for. One of two things:

1. Files to remove via iExplorer to fix this problem without a restore.

2. Either
- A way to hack the iPhone to remove the passcode. I am willing to go this far. Not for malicious purposes, just so that I can back it up.

Or - A way (program? command? hack?) to back up a password-protected iPhone to iTunes without putting in the passcode.

PLEASE HELP! I really need this iPhone and this data!

Last edited:
Frankly, I don't think that there is much you can do, without completely restoring it, erasing everything and setting it up as a new phone.
But maybe someone with more experience will be able to assist you better. Sorry.

Last edited:
I was thinking that might end up being what I had to do. I will probably do that if I can download the 5.1.1 file at the hotel. But, naturally, if someone comes up with a better idea, I will use that.

BTW, that fake 4.2 tweak, should be for users of older IOS devices, so that they could install some apps and tweaks wich require that IOS.

Ok, well if I learn anything from this whole experience, it's what that tweak does :D. The only reason I installed it in the first place was just curiosity- I was messing around, and the tweak's description was in Italian :p

Ok. So, I ended up just restoring, then installing the backup I had that was old, and I didn't lose too much recent information. Seems like there really isn't a solution to this problem...

Glad to hear, that you fixed it. So in the future, be more careful with those tweaks :)