What's new

HELP!!! HDR Question

k.bird197

Reaction score
Hi ya guys i just wanted to know what the difference is between HDR and normal photography on the ip4.

I was in blackpool yesterday taking some pictures on my ip4 and realised on the screen threre was a HDRsymbol on the screen, i was a bit confused as i dont remember ever seeing this before.

Anyway i went into my settings and looked in the photo section and noticed it was turned on,so i turned it off.
Now i have turned it off im not sure if im still gonna get HD pictures and HD videos, can you help as i dont undersand if this will affect my pictures and videos i take.

you will still take HD videos regardless, the video record has no option for HDR on/off, its only for pictures, when you have HDR on it stands High Dynamic Range, its supposed to make your picture colors balance out more, but you still be taking HD photos with HDR off i think

ok thanks.

I do find that my pics can be a bit grainy at times is this normal?

I have another question. On my phone when I have HDR on the flash automatically sets itself to off. If I change it to Auto or On then the HDR sets itself to off.

So in other words I can't seem to ever have the flash on with HRD on??

I have another question. On my phone when I have HDR on the flash automatically sets itself to off. If I change it to Auto or On then the HDR sets itself to off.

Yeah I get that too, I don't understand it really why it does it.
I was taking a pic at night and as soon as I put the flash on auto it turned my HDR off, I don't get it.

I may just leave it set to off all the time then, HDR off and flash on auto. I mean the pictures it takes are really good anyway I find, I can't even see the difference really between the 2. And if all HDR does is balance out the colour a little more then I can just do that on my computer, if I really wanted to.

Whenever I take a picture with my phone it's usually a spare of the moment thing. I don't want to miss something in darker conditions because HDR is on and thus the flash won't work. Bye Bye HDR.

Yeah I get that too, I don't understand it really why it does it.
I was taking a pic at night and as soon as I put the flash on auto it turned my HDR off, I don't get it.

HDR takes three pictures and combines them. One under exposed, one normal and one over exposed. If the flash is on you would get one picture with the flash and two without it and the combined picture would not look good.