What's new

Help... green/yellowish screen?

Mud

Reaction score
The battery was horrid when the 32gb was running 5.0 (heard about the battery draining bug), updated to 5.0.1 was a little better. I had heard about letting the phone die to recalibrate the battery. So (on 12/29) I decided to let it die and maybe see if the battery would recalibrate itself. Well a green/yellow screen popped up. Wouldn't go away. Plugged it into the wall, nothing. Plugged it into my computer and it rebooted, everything seemed fine.
But was wondering what is causing this?
And is it going to do this everytime? (even though I do not plan to let it go dead if I can help it)
Bur tonight it died again and the same thing happened. This time trying a combo of home and off didn't help and plugging it into the wall and computer didn't either.

I did my jailbreak a few days ago, no problems like this.
But did add winterboard and 1 theme the other day... could this be my problem?
Is this normal? What should I do?

Restore via iTunes and let your battery run out. If the same thing happens them take your phone back to apple for a replacement. Just don't mention jailbreak ;)

If it doesn't happen while your phone isn't jailbroken then you know it was something to do with the jailbreak...

Thanks. It's an old bootrom 3gs that I got used, doubt Apple would give me a replacement lol.
I got it going again somehow and it's charging.
This (yellowish green screen) seems to have started happening since I added Winterboard... the battery has always been crap.

Uninstalled Winterboard, going to see if that was it.
I have noticed my springboard isn't "glitchy" like it was when Winterboard was on it. When I would swipe in between screens, it would seem to "catch or lag" a bit.

Well after uninstalling winterboard and letting it die the other day it didn't have the "sick" screen that night. But I let it die again last night and it got the "sick" screen again.
I am a little lost at this point.
Anyone else ever deal with this?

I am hoping that I don't have to restore to factory settings and re-JB.
Also, haven't kept up with the latest 5.0.1 JB's... last I had seen redsn0w's 09.10b3... any others added since then?

Did save all my blobs and this phone has:
5.1b1

This just happend to my oldbootrom 3GS. Woke up to a dead battery plug it in the wall charger & there's some yellow/green screen. I got to find a way to fix this w/o re-JB.

EDIT: I just used redsnow 0.9.9b8 to boot tether it & turned on fine! :)

Last edited:
Well a bit of an update and a disappointment:
Restored and rejailbroke it last night (used b3) and have been waiting for it to die. Just checked it and it was at 2x% battery life, when it went to a black screen then the apple screen then back black ... then the "sick" screen again. Ugh!
I have no clue at this point.

This happened to me too!
I have a 3GS old bootroom, jailbroken 5.01 with redsn0w_win_0.9.10b3. My battery ran out of power last night and when I plugged it into the mains charger I got a nice mustard yellow screen! The only way I could get it to boot up normally was to put it into DFU mode. I had a moment of panic when googling what to do as there are loads of horror stories relating to this "yellow screen of death" where people's iphones were "bricked" and they had to return it to apple to sort out. As mine is over 2 years old and jailbroken I doubt apple would help!

Im guessing its to do with redsnow jailbreak as it seems to only affect 3GS users who have used this jailbreak?

I don't think its my charger, its not a genuine apple one but has never done anything like this since I bought it over a year ago.

I was thinking it maybe winterboard as read other's that have winterboard are getting this problem too but it could just be coincidence, I downloaded a few "tap to unlock" programs that didn't work at all. I am removing winterboard and gonna let my battery drain and see if it does it again. Will post back here.

Also, how do I go about saving my shsh blobs? I get an error from iFaith saying...

[NOTICE] This iDevice has the 24kpwn untether applied!
Since the 24kpwn untether is applied to your iDevice,
no SHSH blobs are on your iDevice. As long as you
restore to custom firmware, no SHSH blobs are needed.

iSHSHit gives this error message...

Warning: ios5+ SHSH blobs no longer be used to restore their respective versions

Sorry, I updated my other "problem" threads regarding the info I found about the "sick" screen. But I'll post here to for future reference.

I have found more info out about this. The "sick" screen is also known as YSoD (yellow screen of death) though it really isn't a bad thing (not like the blue screen for Windows). It apparently just does it when the battery gets under 10% and your phone is jailbroke. Seems to be more common in 3gs phones. The first time I let the battery drain I was actually doing the battery recalibration on it (which I had read should be done once a month) and that's how I first ran across my sick screen. My battery is horrible in this phone anyways and tends to drain itself rather quickly, so most of the times I seen my sick screen it was sheerly by accident. This last time the phone actually had over 20% battery life left when it went to the sick screen.
But seems like if you get the sick screen the thing to do is plug it up to usb and leave it and about 15 minutes it will reboot and be fine. It's just annoying.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About my phone (that has the YSoD):
My phone is a 3GS 32gb old bootrom running 5.0.1 BB05.16.05
I never had this problem (YSoD) with my phone until jailbreaking.
1st: jailbroke with redsn0w 0.9.10b1
installed cydia, winterboard and 1 theme (no apps)
Started getting the YSoD plus lag in my springboard
Restored the phone as new via iTunes
2nd: re-jailbroke with redsn0w 0.9.10b3
installed cydia. NO winterboard or apps.
YSoD still there but lag in springboard gone.

I use the Apple usb cord for everything.

So it looks like it is with the jailbreak itself.

Last edited:
Thanks for update, glad its nothing serious... I too thought it good to let my battery drain completely every so often. Have been always doing that and i still have 2/3 days use of it so i guess its not a bad thing to do!