What's new

Hello! I hate my iPhone, please help

skynelson

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm dearly seeking help with my iPhone, hoping there's a way I can form a positive relationship with it. I'm a very experienced smartphone user.

There's two or three basic things that I find excruciatingly difficult.

First of all, unlocking the phone constantly. Every time the screen turns off, you have to unlock the phone either using face recognition or passcode. Face recognition is not perfect, and I find myself in class as a teacher distracted by trying to get my phone unlocked. I have a slight accessibility delay set on the timing of the typing due to Tremors in my hands, which is great for my typing, but makes typing the passcode every time I unlock the phone an unreasonable solution.
Apple seems to require its own way of doing things: six digit passcode, and no way to set the phone so it doesn't lock.
What if locking and security is not my top priority? What if I live alone? Why should Apple decide what my priorities are?

The second frustration I have is the size of the text send button. When I write a text message, the send button is a tiny little circle in the middle on the right. I would expect a UI designer to make the button the biggest thing on the screen, cuz it's the one thing you're going to have to touch for sure. For someone with tremors, designing a tiny little button for the most important function sucks.

Thirdly, I'll also mention that I find Siri not only frustrating but harmful to use. Over the past few years I've developed a speech impediment, which makes using Siri quite difficult. Siri requires me to form a complete sentence within a very short stretch of time, and if I stop talking Siri assumes I'm done and performs whatever task it thinks I wanted to do. I rarely find it works in the first try, have to try over and over to get the sentence right. Using Siri adds to my speech challenges by making me Rush my sentences in order to be heard.

What I find mind-blowing is that all of these things are design choices by Apple. Maybe I'm the only one with these needs?

Welcome to iPhone Forums!

When you go to the Settings app, and select “Display & Brightness”, you’ll find Auto-Lock. There, it’s possible to select “Never”, so the display won’t turn off.
There’s also “Display Zoom” below Auto-Lock. This gives the option to select larger text, so the controls get larger as well. This might help with the Send button.

If you don’t want to use a passcode, go to Settings - Face ID & Passcode, enter the passcode, then go to “Turn Passcode Off”.

I don’t use Siri myself, so I can’t help you there. I’ve heard it gets better with time, as it learns from communicating with you.

For information, I have: iPhone 13, iOS version 16.6

Thank you JA.
The first thing you suggest, turning off passcode, makes it so the phone doesn't lock when I turn it off, which is exactly what I wanted! Thank you.
Over and over again have researched and found people saying this is impossible, so I'm really grateful. (for instance, Locked)

Changing the text size does not affect the button size, unfortunately. But thanks for the thought! Have a great day!

Thank you, and same to you!
I’m glad I could help with one of your problems. 🙂

Thank you JA.
The first thing you suggest, turning off passcode, makes it so the phone doesn't lock when I turn it off, which is exactly what I wanted! Thank you.
Over and over again have researched and found people saying this is impossible, so I'm really grateful. (for instance, Locked)

Changing the text size does not affect the button size, unfortunately. But thanks for the thought! Have a great day!
Are you using iMessages? There should be an arrow to the right of your typing to send.

carolineM, yes it's a tiny button! In this screenshot it's the word "send". It's very small and it's not centrally located, so I can't reach with my left hand, and it's even hard with my right, giving my challenge with coordination. Is there a different app that has a different layout?

Attachments

• index_messages_posterframe_2x.jpg
    index_messages_posterframe_2x.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 12
carolineM, yes it's a tiny button! In this screenshot it's the word "send". It's very small and it's not centrally located, so I can't reach with my left hand, and it's even hard with my right, giving my challenge with coordination. Is there a different app that has a different layout?
You should have a blue arrow to send. Could you try updating your operating system to iOS 17.1 which is the most up-to-date and will have bug fixes.

Thanks, I think you missed what I meant. That was a screenshot I found online. here is a screenshot from my phone. The button you’re talking about is there. It’s just really tiny. It’s hard to reach for me.
IMG_0163.png

Thanks, I think you missed what I meant. That was a screenshot I found online. here is a screenshot from my phone. The button you’re talking about is there. It’s just really tiny. It’s hard to reach for me.View attachment 73162
All I can suggest for that would be to hold the phone in both hands and tap it with your thumb.