What's new

Hello Forum!

Needsdecaf

Reaction score
Hello, iPhone noobie here. A little about me...

30-something (not yet 40!) professional. Heavy phone user for work (phone, exchange, etc.). Android user since the OG Droid introduction November 2009. I really like the most aspects of the Android OS, however I'm tired of the phones not working correctly.

After two Motorola phones, I picked up the new Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Great phone, love the new Android OS, Ice Cream Sandwich. Except....

Battery life, miserable. Even on 3G, can't get much past lunch without under 20% battery left.
Massive issues with losing data when switching networks and cells.
Camera is awful, worse than my Droid X.

Decided to check out the grass on the other side. What the hell, I have a Mac anyway. Might as well convert. Have a 4S 16G on order to be delivered monday, and looking forward to using it.

One thing I will miss coming to the iPhone is the ability to customize the look of the phone, have widgets on the home screen, etc. I'm looking for good places to start (I'm not afraid to read threads) about customizing and optimizing the phone. I rooted all of my Android phones so not afraid of that in the least, unless it can't be put back to stock.

Looking forward to learning a lot. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

it will take some getting used to the switch especially if you really like being able to customise, something that the iphone lacks too much, but slowly apple are adding these features.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

it will take some getting used to the switch especially if you really like being able to customise, something that the iphone lacks too much, but slowly apple are adding these features.

Yeah, in having the phone for almost 24 hours now, I really am disappointed in the lack of customization. Quite frankly, it really sucks.

I'm hoping that with time and experience it gets better.

However, the phone "just works". No lags, no stutters, no mis-steps, etc. It just works. More than I can say for Android.

Coming from a Google phone with "native" "vanilla" android, you would have thought it would have been the perfect Android experience. A phone and an O/S made for each other, just like iPhone. But still, issues. Known bug keeping the O/S active way too often gives huge battery drain. I mean, the O/S was MADE for the phone, WTF?

In any event, any tips, hints, etc. you can point me toward would be appreciated. I am searching and playing around, but there just is so much to learn! Even basic things like voicemail, email, etc. are so different!

1.) When typing on the keyboard, double tap the space bar to have a full stop mark.

2.) When you scroll down in any any app, touch the status bar on top of the screen to automatically scroll back up.

3.) Double push the home button to revel the multitasking bar, that's where you can completely close opened apps. In the multitasking bar, scroll to the left to see the iPod control and the orientation lock/unlock control. Scroll to the left again to see the volume control.

4.) use the upper volume key to take a photo when using the stock photo app.

5.) if you use calendar a lot, then you will need a week view, enable rotation in the multitasking bar and rotate the calendar to landscape view to have a week view in calendar.

6.) swipe on a message in the SMS app, on a note in the note app, on a song in the iPod app, an email in the email app or on a call log in the phone call app to delete it.

7.) assign specific ringtone to a contact by opening your contact app, select your contact then edit then tap on ring tone and assign a ringtone.

8.) to assign unique vibration type to a contact: go to setting> general> accessibility> custom vibrations ON/ then go back to contact app, select your contact then edit then tap on vibration, scroll down and you will see "create a new vibration" tap on it and create your own vibration for your contact.

9.) if you use the calculator a lot, turn it in landscape mode to activate the scientific calculator.

10.) :) I will tell it to you later

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the tips!

One thing I am looking for is the ability to control individual volumes. On my Android phone I had a profile app, which allowed me to set ringtone, email notification, message notification, etc. all separately. I liked having the ability to have ring only, all on, messages only, all vibrate or all silent at the press of a button. I can't find anything in the app store that is like that. Does that not work on the iPhone?

Different phones, different systems. JB could give you that feature though.

G'day & welcome to the FoRuM!!! :)