What's new

Having trouble jailbreaking

dohara21

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was recently given my friends mums old iPhone. It's a 3Gs with the new bootrom. It is not activated and still locked to her network (which isn't mine). I've been trying in vain for the last 2 days to hacktivate and jailbreak it. It is running iOS 3.1.2 (old I know). So my problem is I can't find an untethered jailbreak for this iOS. I have it jailbroken at the moment with blackra1n but as it's tethered (i think this is the reason) I cannot update it. Ideally I would love to update it to 5.1, jailbreak it using absinthe so it's activated. Please help guys!

Thanks

I forgot to add when I try and update it (on both my computers) I get an error message 3194. I looked up solutions and tried to fix the host file etc but to no avail. I assume it is because it becomes deactivated when the phone restarts. Thanks

You should restore it to 5.1.1, use Redsn0w or Sn0wbreeze to make a custom 5.1.1 firmware to preserve baseband. If you use Sn0wbreeze it will jailbreak it at the same time that it updates.

Ok guys, the problem has deepened. I tried to jailbreak it with spirit, and it didnt work. Now it is in recovery mode and I can't even tether jailbreak it with blackra1n, it just runs the program (with the picture and everything) reboots and is still in recovery mode with the connect to itunes image. Ugh, what do I do?? I'm downloading sn0wbreeze but doesn't it have to be jailbroken for sn0wbreeze to work? And Kenny I tried jailbreakme a couple of times, but it just crashed every time (you know how it goes all liney then shuts off).

dohara21 said:
Ok guys, the problem has deepened. I tried to jailbreak it with spirit, and it didnt work. Now it is in recovery mode and I can't even tether jailbreak it with blackra1n, it just runs the program (with the picture and everything) reboots and is still in recovery mode with the connect to itunes image. Ugh, what do I do?? I'm downloading sn0wbreeze but doesn't it have to be jailbroken for sn0wbreeze to work? And Kenny I tried jailbreakme a couple of times, but it just crashed every time (you know how it goes all liney then shuts off).

You should make a custom 5.1.1 iPSW with Sn0wbreeze.

You MUST enter PWNED DFU mode with iREB before restoring to in iTunes.

You cannot just plug in the device and click the restore button.

As long as your host file is modified, youll never get the device restored.

Unmodify the host back to its original state.

You should make a custom 5.1.1 iPSW with Sn0wbreeze.

You MUST enter PWNED DFU mode with iREB before restoring to in iTunes.

You cannot just plug in the device and click the restore button.

As long as your host file is modified, youll never get the device restored.

Unmodify the host back to its original state.

Ok, so I create a custom iPSW with sn0wbreeze, then use sn0wbreeze to enter pwned dfu via iREB, then restore the hosts file (remove the gs.apple line), then restart computer and update via itunes with the custom ispw? That right?

Ok, that worked! I am now running 5.1.1. I tried to jailbreak (hactivate) using sn0wbreeze but it warned me about bricking the baseband if its in week 28+ of 3GS production (which it is). What should I do?

Ok, that worked! I am now running 5.1.1. I tried to jailbreak (hactivate) using sn0wbreeze but it warned me about bricking the baseband if its in week 28+ of 3GS production (which it is). What should I do?

Hacktivating will not brick your device, that is only for iPad baseband installation and it's 35th week of 2011 not 28, either way, you needed to choose the "hacktivate" option before restoring the firmware. You will have to restore again but select the hacktivate option this time or use an official SIM to activate it.

Also jailbreaking and hacktivating are not the same thing. Sn0wbreeze prejailbreaks the firmware no matter what unless you use the "Baseband Preservation Only" mode and that gives you root access to the filesystem. Hacktivating is bypassing the iPhone activation process.