What's new

Have already reached 80% of fair use policy

Wend

Reaction score
I have only had my iphone4 a week and disappointingly have already used up 80% of my fair use download policy. I have downloaded apps (obviously) namely sky news and sports, ibooks, ebay/paypal and facebook, plus I have been playing Cat Physics. I didn't think I had 'gone mad' so was disappointed to receive a message from T Mobile that I had used up so much of my monthly download (I have 750mb). I expect that my experimenting with watching sky news live has used up a fair bit, although I have not watched it for more than a minute or so a couple of times. Does listening to radio use a lot? Any tips / help appreciated. Am loving my iphone despite this. Thanks!

Going by what you have listed that seems to be quite a lot of usage just for those apps and the activities you have done so far in a week.

Could it be that your first month is shortened? It was like that with my carrier here in Australia. The monthly billing cycle ended only a week after I joined up, which meant that I only had approx. a quarter of a months download / call usage etc.

Data usage over Wi-Fi is free. Next time just use wi-fi when downloading apps.

Thanks Guys for the help! I got my bill message saying it was due a few days after I got the phone so maybe I did have a lower usage for that period, I will watch what happens over the next few weeks and contact the carrier if necessary and have it out with them. Also, I downloaded all my apps on wi-fi anyway so can't really understand it! My usage meter says I have received 2.3gb of data so far. The only time I have (knowingly) used the network to download anything was when I accessed some photos on facebook?? Am beginning to turn off features to see if this makes a difference but as someone said, what's the point of having the phone if you can't use it to the full? Battery life is a bit erratic as well but my brother warned me about that before I got is so am still experimenting on how to get the best longevity out of the battery! Heyho, it's all good fun, thanks again.

All the best
Wend

2.3gb? How long have you had the phone? That seems extremely excessive given what you've told us...

Usage meter? Is that an app that is including wifi traffic?

Download Consume, that should have your carrier, you can set it up to keep track of your actual carrier usage. Also see if your carrier has their own app by searching the app store.

I bet it's what I mentioned before, the 80% was only counting the remainder of the month which you had left...

See how you go this month. Grab Consume or your carrier app to keep track of it.

Thanks Guys, I will probably take it up with my carrier, will download Consume as well to see if I can keep a track of things. The usage meter must include downloads via wi fi cos I can't see them letting me download 2.9Gb so far on a 750mb limit!!

The usage meter doesn't/shouldn't include wifi as it's only for mobile network data.

cd440bfb.png

I have contacted my carrier, T Mobile, who said that my monthly usage was reset (750Mb) on 1 Feb and that I am already in breach!!!!! I now have a restriction on my service between 4pm and midnight for the rest of the month. I am at a loss! they say there is nothing they can do????? My usage meter now says I have received 3.2Gb of data but I've done nothing on the iphone for the last few days other than check mail, facebook, play the ipod. I have deleted the sky news and sports apps because these are the only apps that I can think must be downloading data in the background. I also rang carphonewarehouse who I bought the phone through and they said it sounds really iffy. Now I am at home I have turned off the network and am using my wi fi. It's starting to annoy me now! I have just got my PAC code so am going to ring T Mobile again to sort that out and have another go about this usage business. Grrrrrrrrrrr

have been back onto both T Mobile and Apple. I have definitely downloaded the data, something has been periodically downloading data at around 20mb at regular intervals however we don't know what! It can happen when you charge the phone through the computer, it can pick up on your other internet usage and I do charge the phone most of the day through my pc at work. It could also be apps which are continually running in the background. Obviously I need to be more canny about how to set up and use the phone. Can only monitor the situation now and bide out the month and start afresh from 1 March.

Is your phone factory unlocked? T-mobile aren't an official carrier so I wouldn't believe what they say and I'm not surprised they can't do anything for you.

I've never heard of anything 'picking up other Internet usage' simply because it's on charge to a PC. I think the boy was pulling your leg. Lol.

If I were you I would restore (unless your not officially unlocked) to rule out software issues. If it keeps happening try a different network for a day or two if you can. Failing that if your still under warranty ask for a replacement...

You dont have Internet tethering turned on do you?

Settings - General - Network - Internet Tethering

Update
Decided to do a full reset on the phone and start again from scratch....
so far so good, am keeping an eagle eye on the usage meter and have only downloaded Facebook App so far. I am turning off the network when I am at home and using wi fi. Battery life is also greatly improved, it was only lasting about half a day before so something was definitely amiss! Is there any such thing as a corrupted App that could have been sapping my usage and battery? Strange that my carrier and Apple were able to explain how this was caused.
If I ever find out I will post a new topic. Thanks for everyone's input.
All the best
Wend

The only thing I can think of Wend, is that you had Internet Tethering turned on like I mentioned before.

A friend of mine turn it on by accident. So for a week when he was charging his iphone with his computer, all of his downloads and browsing was going through the iphone.

Did you check this before you restored? To see if it was turned on or not? I really hope it was as that would be the reason.

Nope, tethering was not turned on in the settings and there was no blue bar at the top of the phone at any time to indicate that it was. Since the restore yesterday my usage is a more healthy sent 478k and received 6.6mb. I will restore any Apps that I 'really' want one at a time and monitor. Cheers, Wend