What's new

Handing my old phone down to a family member.

HowardBrazee

Reaction score
I have a family plan with Verizon. I'm getting a new phone for Christmas, and will give my old iPhone 4s to my son. I wish to keep as much as I can on my old phone as I can safely can for my son to use. Verizon already is set up with what it needs except for setting up the phone numbers.

Please review the following check list and tell me if I am missing something important:

Disable iMessage, Facetime, & iCloud
Settings/Messages
Flip iMessage to “OFF”
Settings/iCloud
Find My iPhone - off
Delete Account
Dial *228
Option 1
Enter his phone number
Enter my Verizon Password

Then go to my computer and restore my backup to my new 6s plus.

You can share the same iTunes ID with your son. But you both will need your own iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID's. If you're going to wipe the phone before he sets it up, all you need do is toggle "Find My iPhone" off and toggle iMessage off. If you share the same iTunes ID, you share the same purchased list for apps, music, books etc. He would need your iTunes password to buy anything. You can restrict what he does in Settings.

I would suggest setting your new 6s Plus up as new. Not from a back up.

I'd rather not wipe up his phone - just the security parts.

Why do you suggest setting up my 6s up as new? If I did that, would I need to re-input all of my Wi-Fi passwords?

You can share the same iTunes ID with your son. But you both will need your own iCloud, iMessage and Facetime ID's. If you're going to wipe the phone before he sets it up, all you need do is toggle "Find My iPhone" off and toggle iMessage off. If you share the same iTunes ID, you share the same purchased list for apps, music, books etc. He would need your iTunes password to buy anything. You can restrict what he does in Settings.

I would suggest setting your new 6s Plus up as new. Not from a back up.
I just noticed: The e-mail I got telling me about this post is longer. It continues with:
*228 does absolutely nothing. It doesn't work on iPhone. Does that answer your questions? I may have left something out.

The folks at Verizon told me that we needed to dial *228 in order to tell them to switch his phone number from his old (dumb) phone to the 3G iPhone.