What's new

Got a NOS 3GS 32gb a few weeks ago...headphone jack not working proper?

unclejemima

Reaction score
I got a brand new NOS (new old stock) 3gs 32gb a few weeks ago. Its been an epic phone, but I tried to use my headphone jack 1/8" plug to go to my Honda stereo system, and its all crackling and does not work unless I hold the cable in the exact right spot.

The seller of the phone, who is a business, told me that only apple headphones are supported and it will not work proper with any other brand of cable...

I've had a 3gs in the past and it worked perfect for this...and many of my friends.

Is the 1/8" headphone jack not supposed to support any 1/8" cable...regardless of the brand of the cable? I mean is not 1/8" jacks universal?

Thanks,

The 1/8" is universal, but the depth/length of the head of the cable is different. Some heads are longer than others while some are shorter than others, and if the contacts aren't made, you'll have crackling or issues with sound. Might also want to check for debris in the jack. A can of compressed air would do to get any debris out of the jack

Thanks.

I've got the same cable I used with my old Iphone 3gs...would they have changed the internals on the newer 3gs models so that it would not accept the same identical cable?

i've got a wireless speaker that says "iphone compatible" and its 1/8" plugs does not work proper either.

Looking forward to your reply,

There weren't any hardware changes with the port, unless the device was unsealed, modified and resealed.