What's new

3gs not responding. iOS 4.1

onetwomore

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I am new to the commnity since I own the phone for about 4 months. I checked the latest threads + used the search engine but trying several of the 'repair' types proved wrong to solve my problem I decided to post my own thread.

about the phone:
3gs 32gb running 4.1, bought it on ebay, and it is jailbroken, but I can't give a lot of info about that since I don't know much about the jailbraking thing.originaly AT & T phone.

the problem:

about a week ago my phone suddenly turnned off and I could not chargi it anymore it was staying on the red 'dead battery' screen and when I plgued it in the usb cable it responds to it with turning it on until the apple logo & then it switches off again and the cycle continues. (if not pluged in it is just turned off and I can't do anything)
My PC is not recognizing it as well.

How have I tried to fix it:

1) I tried the home & on/off button holding to reboot it, but it did not respond.
2) I tried holding both then relesing the on/off button
3) I can't put it into DFU since the PC can't see it
4) tried holding only the home button and then pluging it on
5) tried holding both and then plugging it in.

the buttons are working fine, + the cable is good as well(tried on a different iphone )

in the meantime while trying to fix it through various 'repair' methods(above) I went to a repair shop in my local town, because at first I thought it was the batteries fault.
At the repair shop they said it is not the battery but something else. I am a student in NL so I can't speak much dutch, but the guy said the problem is with or in the "pernt-plats".I did some searching on it too, but I could not find what it means and the guy in the repair shop had a tough time to talk with me since he was struggling with english and I was struggling with dutch. AND it was too expensive to repair it(almost half the price of the phone) I decided to look for some more help and info

I believe that it is not completely 'dead' since the PC does recognize it in a way(I am an optimist, ha ha)

so guys, maybe you could hep me out with this problem. almost anything could be usefull at this moment.

Regards!

Last edited:
cmon guys, seriously?
no advice at all, iphoneforum?

be patient,I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Get a 3GS USB cable. An iPhone 4 or else cable won't wake up the battery from dead state, it needs it's original cable.

why exactly do I need the original 3gs cable?(I can't get mine at the moment)
aren't they all the same 30 pin?

It sounds to me that your iPhone is shot man. Really. you should have updated to to 5.0.1 when you had the chance. tho I'm not sure that would have solved your problem.

It really does sound like your phone is done for.

Have you followed the proper instructions to enter DFU mode?

Watch a video to be sure you doing it right. post back, lemmie know if you can get the computer (While iTunes is open, But don't do anything. Just to see if iTunes recognizes it) to recognize when in DFU.

If you can get that to happen then I may be able to help you.

If you cannot get into DFU I suspect there is a hardware problem. You may be able to get it fixed.

alright, I watched 3 videos on YT on how to dfu iphone, I even did it in real time like the guy in the video, but in the moment when his phone goes in DFU mine does not. But I will repeat my self that the phone recognizes that it is pluged in + reacts to button pressing.
does that mean that it is dead? or almost dead?

maybe someone can tell me from where did the problem suddenly arose?

AND thanks for all up until now.

onetwomore said:
alright, I watched 3 videos on YT on how to dfu iphone, I even did it in real time like the guy in the video, but in the moment when his phone goes in DFU mine does not. But I will repeat my self that the phone recognizes that it is pluged in + reacts to button pressing.
does that mean that it is dead? or almost dead?

maybe someone can tell me from where did the problem suddenly arose?

AND thanks for all up until now.

You will know when you are in DFU mode when you here the computer beep as if it just connected to a device, and your screen is black as if it is shut off.

DFU Mode: Black/blank screen (looks like the device is off)

Recovery Mode: ITunes logo with USB cable

You do not want to be in Recovery Mode. You want to be in DFU Mode.

If you are restoring to a custom ipsw, you have to enter DFU MODE, and run iREB. This is called PWNED DFU Mode.

If you try to restore to a custom IPSW with regular DFU Mode (not PWNED DFU) them you will get error 1600 or similar errors. You must enter PWNED DFU mode before restoring to a custom IPSW.

You screen is black/blank in PWNED DFU just as it is in regular DFU Mode.