What's new

Gorilla Glass added to the list of specs on the iPhone 5

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Reaction score
corning-gorilla-glass-2.jpg

These days most folks are only focusing on the due date of the next generation iPad as it is breathing down our necks. Thus, the iPhone 5 has been forced into a shadowy corner, but rumors about its upcoming features are slowly starting to emerge and gain the interest of smartphone enthusiasts.

Most Apple lovers are expecting some top notch features to go along with the next gen iDevice, to make up for the disappointing, yet still massively successful launch of its older brother the iPhone 4S last year. The newest addition to the rumor basket is that the new device will be sporting Gorilla Glass. What’s that you ask? It is a protective window glass that can be found among mobile phones, PMP or some laptop displays. It also makes up 20% of the world’s total amount of handsets. The glass is fabricated from the New York glass and ceramics company, Corning.

Why is this glass so particularly special? The combination of pure sand and natural chemicals result in a specially thin but strong glass, which has also been virtually immune to scratches. The Gorilla Glass 2 has been advertised to be 20% stronger than the precedent model.

Corning, the company in charge of perfecting the glass released a statement saying:

"An 8 inch advanced multi-touch LCD display prototype featuring Corning Gorilla Glass 2 as a durable, touch-sensitive, and elegant cover glass will be soon seen on our mobiles."

Gorilla Glass became more known after Samsung and Google decided to implement it in their Galaxy Nexus, so maybe Apple wants a taste of the pie now as well. We will have to wait and see.

By Radu

Source: ibtimes

Ummm... Apple finally publicly stated, about a week ago, that the 4S and 4 were done with Gorilla Glass. Seems Radu hasn't done his research very well.

If i remember correctly, this was in Steve Jobs book...i dont think its anything new that iPhone has been using gorilla glass.

I had thought my IP4 had Gorilla Glass but was not certain. I think it is cool to know that Apple has been using it for some time.

It may use Gorilla glass, but the screen sure scratches easier than my old Dell Streak 5.