What's new

Google Maps is back!

mmoy

Reaction score
I installed it this morning and it looks a lot more like Apple Maps today. In the web version, they had vector graphics but they did bitmaps for traffic and they were pretty slow. Apple Maps has the traffic data inside the road while Google had them on top of the road (and bigger) so it looked clunky. Google Maps for iOS this time have the traffic data inside the road and it zooms, pans and expands very nicely.

I use a Garmin Nuvi for navigation but I like to get an overview of traffic before I start on a trip. Apple Maps are good enough for a high-level overview but Google has the best traffic data of any mapping service that I've seen. That's because they are using bandwidth and storage from their users to get real-time traffic data. It's pretty hard to beat that. I declined to allow them to use my device for traffic data for now. I might change my mind later on. I'd say that this is a very good app to have on your device.

its just great.....!!!

loved it... (^_^)

Attachments

• $image-470006246.jpg
    $image-470006246.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 510
Does Siri recognize google maps as the default? I dont think so, we need OS upgrade to get rid of OS 6 maps?

Siri goes to Apple Maps. I just ran a little test.

Who ever gets Apple to make a change to iOS that allows us to pick a default app will win a Nobel Prize.

So far not disappointed. Loving it a lot more than the stock Maps.app on my 4S. My 5, ehh.... It's still hard to say for me for now. We'll see how it goes during my test run over the holidays :p

willerz2 said:
So far not disappointed. Loving it a lot more than the stock Maps.app on my 4S. My 5, ehh.... It's still hard to say for me for now. We'll see how it goes during my test run over the holidays :p

I love google maps!

I just wish there was a map app that would have rotating maps when you are NOT in navigation mode. I tend like to have my map up and running while driving home from work with traffic alerts visible so if I see that traffic is slowing down I can go around it. And having teh map not turning, but my location icon turning just drives me nuts... I know I know. Im petty. But hey, its my phone so i can do that if I want to! :)

Edit.. Im thinking Compass mode in GMaps is what Im wanting... gonna play with it tomorrow and see whats what. Now if I could get me screen to stay on unless I turn it off now...

Last edited:
I quite like the Google Maps version. It seems far more superior, however they need to update their satellite images for my home address area as it is still quite pixelated.

I kept trying to use Siri to open Google Maps when I first downloaded the application and it wasn't working so I tried saying "Play Google Maps" and it opened fine. I can't seem to figure out how to set the destination and open the application in one command without having to choose between Google Maps and iOS 6 maps however.

Saw an article on another site about using Siri to get to google maps. You ask Siri to 'Take me to the closest Apple Store' which is the normal request, but also add 'via transit' to the siri request. Siri will present all transit apps on your phone. Google maps will be listed as one of the top entries. click on the route button and you are now in google maps turn-by-turn for the closest Apple Store.