What's new

Google Announces iPhone Translate App Now Available

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
google-translate.JPG

Yet more Google goodness for your iPhone today with the announcement via the Google Mobile Blog that the Google Translate for iPhone app is now available as a free download from the App Store. This is basically the app version of Google’s Translate HTML5 web-based app that was launched back in August 2008. According to the blog, the new app has all of the same features as the web app, as well as some added extras.

The app is able to translate 15 languages from voice input, and as with the web app, you can translate a word or phrase into over 50 languages. You can also hear your translation spoken back to you in one of 23 different languages. Another feature that has been added is Full-screen mode, whereby you can simply tap on the zoom icon to zoom in on the translated text, which could be very handy indeed if you’re trying to communicate with someone in a foreign country – simply show them the enlarged text. All sounds totally excellent for a free app! Click here to download it from the App Store: Google Translate for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: Introducing the Google Translate app for iPhone - Official Google Mobile Blog), via MacStories

I remember this was has been on the Android for a while, at least since I bought my Droid last summer. I thought it was cool to have, but I actually never use it.

Glad the iPhone users get to use it though!