What's new

Going Overseas - GPS question

ChuckinSC

Reaction score
I'm leaving the U.S. and headed overseas to London and then Norway. I would like to use my iPhone GPS with the built-in map as well as a possible "tourist" app. I don't want to incur any phone expenses while overseas. I've done a little experimenting here at home (turning on airplane mode) and it seems that the GPS doesn't know where I am without the phone itself being on (airplane mode - off). So, my question is whether I can use the phone as a GPS mapping device without overseas roaming and data charges? Thank you!!!!

The gps will work without a data signal but you do need a data signal for the maps app. This will be very costly while roaming internationaly.

You should be able to download maps from the app store before you go and use the gps for free...

Thank you for the quick response. However, I'm confused. You say I need a data signal for the map app, but then say that if I download a map from the app store I will be able to use the GPS for free?? Does this mean that if I use a map other than the iPhone map, the GPS will work in that case? I'm confused as to why it won't work without data for one map, but will for another? Could you explain? :)

GPS doesn't use data it's nothing to do with your network. Google maps does as its not saved to your phone. It's downloaded as you move so uses your 3G signal.

If you have the maps downloaded before you go then you don't need to download them on the move. Your network can't charge you because all your using is GPS...

GPS doesn't use data it's nothing to do with your network. Google maps does as its not saved to your phone. It's downloaded as you move so uses your 3G signal.

If you have the maps downloaded before you go then you don't need to download them on the move. Your network can't charge you because all your using is GPS...
Thanks again. I have downloaded maps for the area I'll be in. Am I correct in thinking I should turn data to off, as well as wi-fi (unless I want to use it) and NOT turn on airplane mode?

Yes always turn data off when abroad. Unless you have a international domain plan or deep pockets. Lol.

Wifi, it's up to you. I've never checked but I think turning airplane mode on will disable GPS...