What's new

Gmail on iPhone: Sent messages do not appear in Sent Mail folder

metazoan

Reaction score
Hi all, wondering if anyone else is having this issue and could offer any suggestions.

I use the apple Mail app on my MBP and iPhone 4S.
I have a gmail account (IMAP) and a work email account (Zimbra, IMAP).
I use iTunes to sync the mail account settings between the two devices so they are identical.

Received mail to both accounts appears in the Inbox on both devices.
I can trash a message on either device and it is trashed on the other (both accounts).
If I send a message from the Mail app on my MBP, it appears in the Sent mail folder on both devices (both accounts).
If I send a message from the Zimbra account on my iPhone, it appears in the Sent mail folder on both devices.

If I send a message from the gmail account on my iPhone, it DOES NOT appear in the Sent mail folder on EITHER device.
Messages sent from the gmail account on my iPhone are sent successfully, they just don't appear in the Sent messages folder.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
What about when you send an email using gmail from your mail app on your MBP? does it appear on both devices sent messages folder?

What about when you send an email using gmail from your mail app on your MBP? does it appear on both devices sent messages folder?

Yes, when sending mail from my MBP Mail.app Gmail account, the message appears in the Sent mail folder on both devices.
When I send a message from my iPhone Mail.app Gmail account, it does not appear in the Sent mail folder on either device.
The problem appears to be a Gmail specific bug since my Zimbra work account syncs perfectly in both directions.

I just tried saving a Gmail draft message. Drafts appear in the draft messages folder on both devices whether initiated on the MBP or iPhone.
The problem seems to apply only to Gmail Sent mail when initiated on the iPhone.

What is the outgoing mail server you are using? It should be smtp.gmail.com
In your settings> mails contacts calendars> select your gmail account> Outgoing Mail Server/ smtp.gmail.com/ primary server is smtp.gmail.com/ set it to be "ON"

It's a bug in the iPhone Gmail account setup. It only gives options for mapping the Drafts and Trash folders. I set up my Gmail account as 'Other' and now I get options to map the Drafts, Trash and Sent mail folders.